What was your latest addition to your whisky collection?

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    , edited May 16 2018 at 5:39PM
    Options

some recent Ardbeg tastings

imageimage

imageimage

bedlambornVasco2 liked that
  • SSGN_Doc Member Joined: 26.05.2018Posts: 7Ratings: 0
    Options

Latest acquisition is this bourbon from

a distillery in Woodinville, Washington. 

Grains are procured in the state on the east side of the Cascade mountain range.  Distilled on the west side of the mountains and aged on the east side.

they state, that they allow their barrel wood to age in the weather before building the casks, then char the insides of the casks.  The weather shifts on the east side of the Cascades are more pronounced, which should make the maturation more active.

on uncorking, the nose and flavor was pretty compressed.  A bit astringent, spicy, and a touch Smokey.  Letting the bottle rest another day, and it seems to have opened up considerably. Sweet notes mostly.  Toffee, vanilla, dry fruit, chocolate, and baking spices seem to dominate.  A good sipping whiskey that goes down smooth and easy.  

As as can be seen, they are not an old distillery but they had good guidance when they started, and used more neutral spirit distillation in their infancy to allow their whiskey to age.  They also offer an American Whiskey and a Rye,  Which I may be inclined to pick up as well based on the quality of this offering.

Price was not bad ($38 USD plus flat tax per liter, and additional 20% state liquor tax made it closer to $50.)

bedlamborn liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn 

How do you like the Glengoyne?  I almost bought it, but grabbed an Aberlour 18 instead

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman 

Glengoyne is very good. Need some air and time to open up. So don't rush it.

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

Just arrived, two of each (one for the collection, one for enjoying and sharing)!

hwchoy liked that
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@hwchoy 

Tell me please what you think about Ardbeg Kelpie. I got a couple last year in the distillery shop, but I didn't taste it yet.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Vasco 

great minds think alike. I got the exact same two bottles from Laphroaig and waiting for them to clear customs here.

the Ardbeg Kelpie, are just delicious with rich notes of smoke, saltiness, sweetness behind them permeating as you taste. just awesome if you are into such kind of whiskies.

Vasco liked that
    Options

imageimage

These arrived today:

1. The Machir Bay Gift Pack - Machir Bay 2018 + 2 Glencairn glasses with Kilchoman's logo

2. Kilchoman 100% Islay 8th Edition - with whisky from between 2008 and 2012, from bourbon and sherry casks, 12,000 bottles batch

hwchoySnelius2 liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Jared_Gudnason How was that Winter Storm??? And where on earth did you find it? LOL

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

Options

For the whisky lovers that don't know (yet) this brand:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destilerías_y_Crianza_del_Whisky_S.A.

In resume, it is a spanish distillery known for Coca-Cola-grade whisky, that recently (when bought by Suntory, the owners of Schweppes, Lucozade, and Yamazaki) started to make some pretty decent and inexpensive single malts.

I've tried the 10 years old in 2017, and was truly surprised for a €15 (!) single malt. Now this one, with a price tag of €30.

I don't know where to buy it outside Spain, I live near Lisbon and use to go often to Spain in business. That's when I stop at the local supermarkets and deli stores, and search for cheaper drams (Bowmore 12 at €30, for example), when compared with other countries or even most online liquor shops.

I'll try to make a video, or at least to give some feedback, when I open this bottle. If this is like the 10 yo, then I should wait for warmer and sunnier weather.

Regards,

Vasco