Tell me what you've bought recently

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4

Just curious to see what people have picked up and enjoyed (or hated) recently. My most recent addition is a bottle of Glenfarclas 12 Year. After watching Ralfy and Horst sing praises I decided to grab a bottle. Not one bit of disappointment! Excellent stuff! One other recent bottle is Timorous Beastie which is a blended malt. Not bad. Bought it on a whim. 46%ABV, non chill filtered, no color added. Not the most noteworthy dram, but still very satisfying. Cheers! 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage 

Despite I've been using other topic for this subject,

https://www.whisky.com/forum/discussion/37669/what-was-your-latest-addition-to-your-whisky-collection/p22

here are my 2 cents:

Laphroaig Four Oaks - interesting, but not enough to repeat. Oaks, peat, and smoke, but I don't see the point of 4 different casks. Not enough complexity for the price and the statement, imho.

Balvenie 12 Years Triple Cask - Doublewood still the bang-for-the-buck, when compared to this. Overpriced, and a little less sherried. However, I'm curious about the 16 triple.

Your Glenfarclas is a classic. Timorous Beastie I don't know, will check it.

• keppela Member Joined: 10.06.2018Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage After watching Ralfy for a while, I went out looking for a few select bottles. I came up with a Dalwhinnie 15 and Ardbeg 10. Really like the former, having a hard time with the latter (even though I'm a peat head). I was also looking for a Spring Bank 10 and Laphroaig Lore, but couldn't find either one locally (I live in a small town).

DramTasticVoyage liked that
  • A.Shafner Guest, Member A.Shafner Joined: 28.12.2016Posts: 10CollectionWhisky ShelvesRatings: 138
    Options

I recently picked up Highland Park 30Y and Compass Box Spice Tree extravaganza. I am sipping on Highland Park 18Y, Glendronach 18Y,Balvenie 12Y Triple Cask and Laphroaig Triple Wood. Very good whisky indeed. I recommend all of them depending on your budget.                                             Cheers!!!

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@keppela I've got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 thats been collecting dust at my bar for awhile now. Its pretty rough! Every once in awhile, I'll add a few drops of it to something else to bring a little smoke to the party, but thats the extent of it. It is just too much peat for me. It tastes like a ball of band-aids thats been rolled around in a fire pit for a day or two. Add some water and the flavor changes to formaldehyde. Tastes like something we dissected in high school! I'll keep it around on the off chance my palate matures enough for me to enjoy it. I try a little from time to time just to see if it tastes any better to me, but it doesnt.  

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@keppela It tastes like a ball of band-aids thats been rolled around in a fire pit for a day or two.

You should send that description to Laphroaig. I'm sure they would love it, and maybe put it in one of their bottles!

• [Deleted User] Joined: 17.06.2018Posts: 0Ratings: 0
    Options

I'm sipping Highland Park 12 and, like you @DramTasticVoyage, I have the Glenfarclas 12, both on Horst's recommendation. The Highland Park is my first very slight inroad into something with a little smoke and has wonderful complexity. The Glenfarclas is just easy sipping and a little dangerous at the start of a  weekend... just wonderful!! I also have an Aberfeldy 18 which is divine – oranges and honey and so much complexity in the nosing.. drams of this are a little less regular due to the price and the quality. Hope that gives you a bit of a picture from my perspective.

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@nzdram I'll have to try that Aberfeldy. I've heard quite a few people say good things about that bottle. If you are looking for something else in the lightly smokey category, you should try Bunnahabhain 12 and Highland Park Magnus. Both have about the same level of smoke as the Highland Park 12 with a nice sweet background. I think you'll enjoy them both very much! 

~Joel Rosenburg

[Deleted User] liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 17.06.2018Posts: 0Ratings: 0
    , edited June 22 2018 at 9:50AM
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage Thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a go once I get through my current cabinet! Horst has a good tasting video on the Aberfeldy and features it on one of his "What's in my licquer cabinet" videos at some point if that helps.

• Otter Member Joined: 12.09.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I've just started drinking whisky and my first two bottles were the Glenmorangie Original and the Tomatin Dualchas. I really like both of them, although every time I have a dram of one I think to myself that the other one is better.

I'm sure my unrefined palate (and student budget) will keep the really good stuff out of my cabinet for a while yet, but I think I'll be picking up a bottle of Highland Park 12yo when the holidays get a bit closer.

• DramTasticVoyage
    Topic creator
    Member DramTasticVoyage
    Options

@Otter Do you live in North America? If so, try the Highland Park Magnus (Its not sold outside of north america for some reason). Its cheaper than the 12 year and I think its much better. Has an interesting smoke flavor to it. Almost like smoked ham, but sweet also. Very good stuff! 

~Joel Rosenburg

Otter liked that