Balvenie 15 single barrel

• Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Joined: 24.10.2017Posts: 21CollectionAj_Renys CollectionRatings: 0

Had a friend give me a 5cl sample of The Balvenie 15 single barrel and I can't find much online. How does it taste compared to say Glenmorangie 10?

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Aj_Reny I've not yet tried it, but I imagine its far superior to Glenmorangie 10

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

• Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Options

@DramTasticVoyage I've read it's been discontinued. I've not seen it in stores.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@Aj_Reny 

Balvenie 15 yrs Single Barrel is still available on the market, but, as it's only a single barrel that is bottled at any given time, each of the expressions is by nature quite limited. Normally (on the regular bottled) there is a cask number on the label - thiy way you can differentiate between the different expressions, which can differ in taste to quite some extent. Depending on whether it was a Ex-Bourbon or -Sherry Barrel this can be quite different from the Glenmorangie 10 yrs - and the Balvenie ist bottled at a higher strength, too.

Concerning your special sample I noticed that it has an abv of 50.4%, which would mean that it comes from the time before 2002 / 2003, when Balvenie switched from bottling the Single Barrel at 50.4% to a mere 47.8%.

Tastewise I can't say too much as I haven't tried a Single Barrel Expression from that time myself, but usually the Bourbon Barrels tend towards spicy vanilla and honey, while the Sherry Expressions are bound to bring raisins, roasted almonds,often tobacco and leather and sometimes some gunpowder.

I'd say try and enjoy - sláinte mhath!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom most excellent sir. Thank you. It will be on the menu for tonight then, I appreciate the info.

SanctTom liked that