Lagavulin 16 yo, normal edition versus the distillers edition

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

I have now tasted both the normal Lagavulin 16 years old and also the Lagavulin distillers edition. It is quite interesting to compare them. I find the normal Lagavulin quite austere and is an excellent whisky. While the distillers edition leaves the austerity and adds some sweetness from the PX sherry casks that is used for finishing. But it takes quite some time when I smell it before I notice the PX in the nose. I think that the PX casks adds more complexity but at the same time I miss the austerity of the normal edition. I think that I prefer the normal edition due to its austerity.

What do you people on this forum prefer?

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    , edited May 25 2018 at 8:57PM
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Haven't tried the Distiller's Edition yet, but will do it in the next future.

And how do you find it when compared with a Laphroaig PX Cask?

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@Vasco 

I find the Laphroiag PX to give a bit more complexity but hides some of the medicinal smoke. So it is a bit similar to the Lagavulin DE, but I think that Laphroaig PX is more to my taste.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I definitely like the Laga PX better than the standard 16 year...but not so much more so that I'll pay an extra 30 or even 40 dollars for it.  So for now, I'll stick with the standard 16.

I feel the same when comparing the Laga PX and Laphroaig PX.  I like Lagavulin better, but the Laphroaig PX is a much better value seeing how it's a one liter bottle.

Vascohwchoy2 liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman 

I bought my Laphroaig PX with 30% off so it was a bargain. While the Lagavulin DE is maybe 30$ more expensive than the normal edition in Sweden also.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn 

but I thought "Blott Sverige svenska krusbär har"   :lol:

bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman 

Completely 100%

Carl Jonas Love Almquist

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn 

If you like the austerity of the regular 16 yrs. better than the Distiller's Edition, you might want to try out the 8 yrs old - although only half the age as the 16 yrs old and (here in Germany) at about the same price, it might go just in the direction you like.

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@SanctTom 

I have tried the eight year old version. I found it too young and to much smoke covering up the Lagavulin style. Thinking about trying the 12yo but it is so expensive nowadays.

VascoSanctTom2 liked that
  • RikS Member Joined: 24.06.2018Posts: 5Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn I enjoy both very much - the DE is a little bit rounder and fuller. However, I'm a bit annoyed that with some water added to my DE, there's a distinct whiff of sulphur coming through which surprised me, but I take down to the sherry casks...

bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@RikS 

I sometimes can get that also. But sometimes it dissapears when waiting for a few moments.