Glen Moray 12

• Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Joined: 24.10.2017Posts: 21CollectionAj_Renys CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited May 8 2018 at 3:56AM

Ok to start off, I'm not disliking this whisky... I am just not impressed with the taste.

I ran out of my cheap daily drinkable single malts. ( Glenmorangie 10 and Auchentoshan 12) so instead of replenishing one of those i thought " well I have never tried the Glen Moray 12 I will grab a bottle". 

The nose was fair, but the taste is just bland to me. Boring really. It is decent to drink on a warmer day when say my bottle of 95 high rye seems to much.

To sum it up, does anyone else find the 12 year Glen Moray disappointing?

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Aj_Reny 

I drank a bottle of the 8 years old. Cheap single malt, doesn't worth the time.

There are old bottlings of 12 years that are increasing their value for collectors.

Regards,

VR

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Aj_Reny Glen Moray had to suffer from underfunding for along time. But they had a very good Reputation for their Chardonnay maturation. The 10yo Chardonnay is a true classic. There had always been a small amount of the 16yo which contains a decent amount of Sherry cask whiskies.

Beeing underfunded they had to ship most of their whiskies as 8yo or NAS to the supermarkets. The selling prices dropped significantly and the brand suffered.

Today there is a new affordable 15yo on the market which happened to be one of the best I tried in 2017.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Joined: 24.10.2017Posts: 21CollectionAj_Renys CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@horst_s 

Thank you for the insight into Glen Moray. I will look for the 15 yo next time I am out to purchase some scotch.