Glen Garioch 12

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator

Just bought this one..gets very good reviews and good value.Non chill filtered and 48%..have a similar Aberlour one which is good!Had nt heard if it before,but willing to try new dustilleries!

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Highlander 

I tasted 2 years ago a 90s bottling of Glen Garioch 10, distilled before the closure. Interesting Highland peated dram, nevertheless not quite my style. It had a not so pleasant first impact, but that could be me - I usually don't like very much the beginning of the bottles. As we say in Portugal about the wine, we have to "let it breathe".

A friend of mine tasted the 12 (and others) in a distillery visit at Glen Garioch, and fell in love with those ones.

Good choice! :smile:

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@Vasco The 12 at 48% is a good one with plenty flavour and taste.The Virgin Oak and Wine Cask ones are supposed to be very good.Have you tried 'Port'matured whisky?....such as Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin and Talisker Port Ruighe....both rather good with porty flavours!

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Highlander 

With portuguese casks, I have tried the following:

Penderyn (welsh single malt) Madeira Cask

Kilchoman Red Wine (from Douro region)

Laphroaig Brodir (port cask)

This last one is, currently, my favourite of all. Peat + sweetness from sherry/port/madeira = my drams. I'll keep your recomendations in mind (specially Talisker) next time I visit the usual liquor shop.

A little off topic, but if you take a inexpensive port wine and prepare it like a gin&tonic (in this case, a port&tonic), specially with white port, you'll have a very refreshing and light drink before a meal!

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@Vasco The Laph Brodir does look good..Horst enjoyed it!!My Highland Park 18 just arrived today..not Porty but lots of lovely flavours to help cure my cold and sore throat!!!