Confused... show me the way forward

• Marius_Snel
    Topic creator
    Member Marius_Snel

I am new to Whisky (generic term) and have after a year ended up with a mix of all sorts - now I am confused. I can't say that I have found a love for a specific type but two whisky's that I love are:

- Laphroaig select

- Slaughter House

Do I just continue drinking all sorts until I develop a love for something or do I start with one type and then move to a next - what do you recommend?

Many Thanks

Marius

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Marius_Snel 

I would suggest buying small bottles and tasting many distilleries and see what you like. What kind of style that you like and also finding out what distilleries that are very good.

Marius_Snel liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@bedlamborn Can't agree better.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Marius_Snel liked that
  • Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Marius_Snel 

I was in the similar situation a year ago. I found two scotches that I really liked and decided that I don’t want to “explore” anymore. Then one day our local liquor chain decided to have a huge blow out sale on expensive drinks and I was able to snatch a few awesome bottles, not just scotches but also cognacs, bourbons, and even some mezcal and calvados. I am so glad I did, the array of flavours is just unbelievable. So from my experience, if you like the journey, you want to “visit more places”, you might be amazed at what you haven’t seen yet. 

bedlamborn liked that
  • Jared_Gudnason Member Jared_Gudnason Joined: 12.04.2018Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

local events and whisky tastings.  I have been to three different tastings now, and have found a bottle (or three) that i like each time i've been.

One event had over 150 scotches out for tasting, brought 5 bottles home that night, and a better understanding of various scotch types and profiles.

bedlamborn liked that