New to single malts...need help

• Markpriceis
    Topic creator

Hello, I am new to single malts and so I have an uneducated palate. History: I was introduced to blended scotch a year or so ago. I found that Dewar's suited my taste and my budget so that was my "go to" brand. Recently I had a hiking experience that reminded me that life is uncertain and every day should be appreciated to the fullest. On the way home from my adventure I purchased a bottle of Glenlivet 18. I love it. For me it is on the expensive side so I decided a less expensive bottle might be good to keep around the house for my evening dram. Picked up a bottle of the Macallan 12. Very good but not as good as the Glenlivet 18. Next I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15. Still good but not like the 18. My question is this...what, if any, single malt can I try that will compare with the Glenlivet 18? Can I buy smaller bottles to sample instead of a full size bottle? And is there another single malt with similar attributes that I might enjoy even more? (not likely). Is it odd to have several bottles of scotch open at the same time? At this point my whiskey budget is out the window so price (within reason) isn't a huge concern. Thanks for any and all advice.

Tagged:
  • LaphroaigLover Member LaphroaigLover Joined: 08.03.2016Posts: 6Ratings: 0
    Options

@Markpriceis I would recommend either the Cardhu 12, Glen Garioch 12 or Deanston virgin oak.  Those are more in line with Glenlivet's profile, but with a little more personality.  If you want something more sherried try the Tamdhu 10, Edradour Caledonia 12, or the Glenmorangie Lasanta.

More Peat = More Better :)
  • Markpriceis
    Topic creator
    Options

@LaphroaigLover Thank you for the suggestions. I will give them a try!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Markpriceis 

It is a good idea to buy small bottles and taste different distilleries so that you know what you like.

For me I have like six bottles open at the same time.

If you like Glenlivet 18 maybe you would like the Balblair vintage 2000.

• DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

If you want cheap and delicious, look no further than the tried and true Glenmorangie 10 Year Original. Cant beat it for the price. Under $40 just about everywhere. Very pleasant on the nose and palate. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg