Where to start? Recommend some single malts, please.

• Jason.A
    Topic creator

Short: 

Initial Single Malt preference: Glenfiddich 15 and Aberlour 12

Newer preference: Ardbeg 10

Goal of this post: 

A) to introduce myself

B) to get a few recommendations of other Single Malts under $50 to buy

I am not new to Scotch, but I am new to trying to take my Scotch drinking seriously. 

My first alcoholic drink was Scotch, based on what my father drank. In college I dabbled with buying bottles when I could afford it. I was always a Glenfiddich (12) fan, which I bought more than anything else. But when I really fell in love it was with the 15 year Glenfiddich Solera and the 12 Year Aberlour. 

For several years after college while starting a career and money being a bit tighter, I turned away from Single Malts and drank mostly blended Canadian whiskies. My drink of choice was Canadian Club with ginger ale. 

Well, now I'm back. A full grown adult with a career and, maybe, around $500 I could afford to spend buying Single Malt Scotches during the course of a calendar year without feeling any bit of guilt whatsoever. (Read: being able to max out retirement, savings, and other more important expenses first).

Over the last several months I was fortunate enough to take a transAtlantic trip to Scotland and try many different single malts. Strangely enough, my initial preference for slightly sweeter, fruity Scotches was transformed on this trip. I found that the most enjoyable new Scotch I tried was Ardbeg! The smokiness was such a different experience for me. 

On the return trip, I purchased a Glenfiddich Select Cask (blue bottle, 1 liter instead of 750ml) on impulse at the airport because it was cheap and, after tasting it, reminded me a bit of the Glenfiddich 15s I used to buy but with a bit more of a redwine smell that was enjoyable.

Today, my cupboard consists of: Ardbeg 10, Glenfiddich Select Cask, and Glenmorangie 10. 

I'd love some recommendations for a few bottles of Single Malt Scotches under or around $50 to buy during the next year. 

I hope my introduction wasn't too long. I'd appreciate any input from the forum about where to go from here. Thanks!

hwchoy liked that
  • NZer Member Joined: 27.12.2017Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@Jason.A you may like glenfiddich the original if you can get it

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Jason.A 

for glenfiddich with a bit of sweet smoke, get the vintage cask in the same series as the select cask.

otherwise, you should try all the other islay whiskies to refine what you really like about peated whiskies.

• Jason.A
    Topic creator
    Options

hwchoy said:

@Jason.A 

for glenfiddich with a bit of sweet smoke, get the vintage cask in the same series as the select cask.

otherwise, you should try all the other islay whiskies to refine what you really like about peated whiskies.

Thanks, I haven't tried the vintage cask Glenfiddich. After looking it up, it looks very exciting and combines the two disparate types of Scotches I really enjoy. It could be a winner for me!

In terms of other Islays, I've tried several but didn't find them to be approaching the level of peat I enjoyed in my Ardbeg. I ordered a Bowmore 12 in a Scottish pub on my trip and liked it, but didn't think it was anything special. I also tried some Laphroaig on the trip but don't remember for sure what it was (the 10?). Again, I thought it was nice but nothing special.

Outside of Ardbeg, Bowmore, and Laphroiag, can you recommend a moderately priced entry level Islay that you think I should try?

hwchoy liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited December 28 2017 at 11:47AM
    Options

So if you like Ardbeg, I would recommend the Ardbeg Uigeadail.  It's a marriage of bourbon and sherry butts.  Hands down, it's my favorite Ardbeg.  At $80 or so, it is more expensive than 50 dollars, but worth every penny in my opinion.  PRICE: $65.00 - $85.00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRhCb-VIagg

Another great Islay whisky for around 50 dollars is the Bunnahabhain 12 year.  While not peated, it's one of the best values for the money I can think of.  I know @horst_s says that there is a little bit of smoke, but I don't notice it.  PRICE: $50.00 - $60.00

Talisker 10 is another classic that you can't go wrong with.  It's an Island, not an Islay scotch, but falls under the same category.  Talisker is known to have a sweet arrival with a peppery finish.  PRICE: between $50.00 - $65.00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=956Qe5EBpW8

Of course, any fan of Islay whiskies has to have purchased at least one bottle of Lagavulin 16.  If you haven't had it yet, don't ask any questions...just go buy one :smile:PRICE $65 - $90

• Michael_Curtis Member Michael_Curtis Joined: 02.01.2018Posts: 3CollectionMichael_Curtis' CollectionRatings: 13
    Options

@Jason.A 

I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 15 French Reserve on New Years Eve which was excellent. I'm fairly new to the game though liked it alot better than the Glenfiddich 12 which I also have a bottle of.  

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Jason.A 

@kroman had some nice suggestions and I would also suggest that you try out the Talisker 10 years old

• Jason.A
    Topic creator
    Options

@Jason.A 

@kroman had some nice suggestions and I would also suggest that you try out the Talisker 10 years old

Thank you. It's been a while since I have had Talisker. Based on my evolving tastes, it might be a good one.

• Andyvans Member Andyvans Joined: 26.07.2015Posts: 34CollectionAndyvanss CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Jason.A 

I would second Lagavulin 16, it is a classic you must try, even if it is a bit more pricy. I think you would appreciate the complexity of it. My second recommendation would be Highland Park 12. While not heavily pleated, it is rather special, even one of a kind I would say. My third recommendation, for something completely different, would be Glendronach 12 or older for a taste of heavy sherry influence. 

• alcohaul Member alcohaul Joined: 07.04.2017Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

AMRUT INDIAN SINGLE MALT 700ML

AMRUT INDIAN SINGLE MALT CASK STRENGTH 700ML

I can recommend these two Single Malt whisky.

• Jared_Gudnason Member Jared_Gudnason Joined: 12.04.2018Posts: 3Ratings: 0
    Options

For the peat, i would 'third' the Lagavulin 16.  I got mine at Costco.  (my price was around $80, but that's Canadian)

My Standard 'cheap' drinking scotch is Balvenie 12 DoubleWood.  Usually around $60-70 cad, and a very nice easy drink, of exceptional quality for a 12 imho.  If you haven't had this one yet, highly recomment.

some other suggestions from my shelf, although most are in the 80-100 range here;

Tomatin 14 Port finish.

Glendronach 15 revival

Macallan 15

and a slightly different flavor profile:  Auchentoshan Three wood (NAS)