Hello from Singapore

• Chester_Lee
    Topic creator

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of whisky and am hoping for some great introduction brands that wouldn't cost a bomb. Also was wondering what if japanese whiskys such as suntory or yamazaki? Thanks 

hwchoy liked that
  • daniel.yrh Member Joined: 20.11.2017Posts: 5CollectionDaniel’s CollectionRatings: 0
    Options

@Chester_Lee  LOL everything in Singapore cost a bomb! 

I mostly acquire my collection from DFS/overseas especially for those 12yo and above. Above 12yo it is fairly common to get them locally at lower prices than DFS.

For newcomers you may try to source for:

- Monkey Shoulder (around $50 at DFS, $80 local). This is a nice entry to whisky, smooth yet tasty

- Glenfiddich 12yo (around $80 local). Nice entry to single malt.

hwchoy liked that
  • alcohaul Member alcohaul Joined: 07.04.2017Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    , edited February 20 2018 at 10:03AM
    Options

@Chester_Lee 

Hi Lee, you can browse here: https://alcohaul.sg/ It is the easiest, fastest and most reliable way of receiving the alcohol delivery at your doorstep.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chester_Lee 

To start with Glenmorangie 10 years old or Glenlivet 12 years old would be a good start.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chester_Lee 

welcome Chester. if you are buying within Singapore, you should be aware of the pricing practice of various retailers, including online ones. shop around and compare prices. you will be surprised at the humongous differences some retailers want to charge you for quite standard bottles.

if you travel a bit, DFS is a good source as they prices are generally good (but not all).

online shops you can check with paneco.com and simplywhisky.com.sg are the ones I usually go to.  shop wise you can check LMDW down at Robertson Quay.

bottle line, know you prices, and don't fall for those three lousy bottles for only $500++ gimmicks at some bars.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

oh you can also check the supermarkets I heard some Cold Storage branches are carrying whiskies are rather good prices, equal to DFS, considering it includes the hefty liquor duty and GST.

For japanese whiskies, know that they are generally priced at a premium level simply because of the hype. They are mostly very good but not at the kind of prices being asked.

• primeliquor01 Member Joined: 12.12.2020Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Chester_Lee  Hey Lee you can Explore https://www.primeliquor.sg/ where you will find multiple options for alcohol and they also provide Alcohol Delivery in Singapore.