Glenfarclas Distillery

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator

Planning a visit to my favourite whisky producer at start of March...doing the Connoisseur s Tour and taste 4 top class drams afterwards....hopefully 25,30,40 and 50!!!Think the complete experience should be great!Anyone out there visited Glenfarclas?....would love to hear your feedback!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

Doubt it will be the 25, 30, 40 and 50. As they write on their homepage that one of the drams will be from the Family cask selection. Also the 40 and 50 are to expensive to be included in this tasting I think. As the Five decades tour cost 100£ and the Connoisseur’s tour and tasting cost only 40£, so Think that maybe the 25year old will be the oldest.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I'm having a GlenFarc 25 as a Nightcap now..and its delicious.The Family ones are quite old too...will ask when I book tour.I'm hoping onsite shop is good value too.I'll be like a kid in a candy store,as they say!!!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander

A good distillery visit costs to much money as one have to buy a lot of whiskies home...

The family casks can be young also. I saw one that was a vintage but only 12 years old and at a whopping ABV of 63,5%.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I have tried most Glenfarclas from 15 to 25 and all inbetween,plus the 103...would love to try 30 and 40 yr olds!Have never had a bad one,though some batches are better than others,especially 25 and 21!Although expensive,the 30 and 40 yr old can be 4 times cheaper than other brands..eg Highland Park,Macallan,Dalmore etc...well worth remembering!

Options

@Highlander 

One has to thank Glenfarclas for having the foresight to store up older stocks. There are not many with older stocks and such prices. Balblair has older whiskies with good prices also. But not many others.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Just acquired Glenfarclas105 and 18 yr old..both 1 Litre bottles..both fantastic value for money.Cant think if better value distillery than GlenFarc...Glengoyne is very good too...18 and 21 both excellent..but a bit pricey!!

Options

@Highlander 

Both Glenfarclas and Glengoynd should get credits for having a complete range from 10 up to 30 years old. Are there any others that have such a big range with age statement whiskies?

Glengoyne is a bit more pricey than Glenfarclas but I can find taxfree Glengoyne 21 on a ferry for 70£ so tat works for me.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Glengoyne 21 is great!Taliskers have a good range..18 is my fave....Aberlour also...18 is superb....Balvenie has a range..but too smooth and mellow...17 Double Cask was a big let down!Macallan Fine Oak or 1824 series...but very pricey!

Options

@Highlander 

I am surprised that Talisker still has several age statements whiskies around. I thought that Diageo would remove them with NAS.

Macallan is as always very overpriced.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I dont really approve of NAS,although i do have a Macallan Sienna at home..not too bad.A whiskys age is its identity and the customer should know the age...its a bit of a con i think....so Gold,Amber,Sienna and Ruby isnt Macallans best idea....though has proved very popular!