What is Traditinal Oak Cask???

• 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    , edited January 7 2018 at 7:55AM

For 'The Glenlivet 12yr' they use Traditional Oak Cask, Ex-Bourbon American Oak Casks and Euopean Oak..

also Tomatin 12yr is made from traditional oak casks and first fill Oloroso Sherry butts

1. I wonder what Traditional Oak Cask is..

Is that a 'Vergin' American Oak cask??

2. And is that Euopean Oak cask means that they are using Virgin Euopean Oak Cask?? or the cask already been once used to mature sherry wine??

3. Glenlivet 21yr, American Oak and Ex-Sherry Oak are used. Then is that American Oak 'Virgin'? if not, American Oak = Ex Bourbon??

So Confusing..!!!

Need help...

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@공존 

Traditional oak cask for me is a marketing thing. You use it for it to sound a lot better. Because what is traditional has shifted through the years depending on what barrels and casks that were available.

But to answer your questions.

1. For scottish whisky a traditional oak cask would not be virgin american oak.

2. For a european oak cask that would normally mean a cask that has been used for sherry or wine. It all depends on the distilleries what type of wine has been used. Mostly it is sherry but for some it is red wine for example.

3. Here I would say that they mean ex bourbon casks.

If American virgin oak casks are being used then it is normally written. Such as the Benromach Organic.

kroman liked that
  • 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Thank you!

So, you mean Traditional Oak Cask can be anything? can be Virgin or Ex Bourbon or etc??  

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@공존 

For bourbon a traditional oak cask will always mean a new fresh charred barrel. Since it is stipulated in law.

For scottish whisky I imagine that a traditional oak cask can be anything since it is not stipulated in law.

But when distilleries write traditional oak cask some mean bourbon barrels, other mean sherry casks while some mean both bourbon barrels and sherry casks.

So the use of the word is very much marketing. But for Scottish whisky I would say that traditional oak never means virgin oak. The link below has some interesting discussion about the phrase traditional oak.

https://scotchhobbyist.com/2011/04/25/scotch-cask-types-seeking-some-clarity/

• 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Wow. Thank you so much!!

It really helped me. Thank you!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@공존 I would say, that this is a marketing expression for a re-used oak cask. Typically Hogsheads. Why? Because otherwise they would have more positive words to put on the label like: First Fill, Ex-Bourbon, Rejouvenated, Sheryy, European, ...

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that