Highland Park 18

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator

Tried this last night,and i admit i have a cold,but not sure what all the fuss is about!Nice flavours i admit,but in my opinion not as good as Talisker 18,Glengoyne 18,Glenfarclas 21 or 25.Hugely inflated price tag at £110 too...just doesnt live up to all the marketing hype.Disappointing for the price,it is only an 18 yr old lets face it and to be £30 more than quality ones on the market,just isnt justified!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

I have only tasted the Highland Park 12 and I had the same sentiment, don't know what the fuss is. But HP is so popular.

The 110£ pricetag is a lot I think. I can get the HP 18y for 75£ in Sweden so far but maybe they will rise the prices here also.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Glenfarclas 25 is available around £115,and is sooooo much better than Highland P!Macallan and Highland P both owned by Edrington and both very,very over priced whiskies.Coincidence???I very much doubt it.Glenfarclas IS best value whisky on Earth :FACT!!!!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

Edrington group is really trying to earn a lot of money out of both Higland Park and Macallan. Especially for Highland Park there has been a lot of expensive limited editions. Like HP the dark, a 17 year old whisky for approximately 200£. Almost the same pricerange as Macallan 18y.

So Glenfarclas definitely has a good bang for the buck when it comes to age and price. Also Glengoyne has a good age to price ratio.

Cheers for family owned companies like Glenfarclas.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I totally agree,no reason for some whiskies to be price they are!!!You are paying for the brand...plain and simple,not the actual whisky in the bottle!Edrington supposed to be a charitable trust???well their prices are nt very charitable!!!Aberlour and Clynelish both good value whiskies too.I did taste a Macallan 18 Fine Oak in October....bottle was £175!!!!!!!Ridiculous for an 18 yr old and not even memorable!GlenFarc and Glengoyne both very good...although Glengoyne 25 is £240!!!!!!

Options

@Highlander 

Clynelish is a good value whisky and also there are good independent  bottlings of Clynelish from Signatory.

Glengoyne 30 is 600£! But at these ages the prices seem to be going straight through the roof. I saw a special edition of Glengoyne 25 y first fill sherry for only 180£ at a ferry. I regret not buying it now. 

It will be interesting to follow Edrington to see if they can keep the profit up for Macallan and Highland Park or if the market will fade away but so far they raise the prices and people pay...

• mukeshshekhar Member mukeshshekhar Joined: 29.11.2017Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Highlander 

my name is mukesh shekhar and i want to know more about whiskies 

so kindly help me to sending some notes and videos of the same if possible to you

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@mukeshshekhar Well..i like the following whiskies..Glenfarclas,very good value,start from 15 yr old at about £50.Aberlour..full bodied and fruity...try 12 yr old Non Chill Filter or Abunadh,Cask Strength.Glengoyne..very good too..15,18;21..not tried 25 yr old as £250!!!!All very nice flavours,quality whiskies.Obviously Macallan is good;but be warned,very expensive.Try 12 yr old Sherry cask or Sienna.Talisker is a slightly smoky one and the 18 is totally delicious.Clynelish 14..good value and lots of coastal flavours!Look for reviews of any of these on youTube...Horst on Whisky.com or Ralfy.com...both very helpful in discovering new whiskies you may like!