New - Opinions and help appreciated!

• Michael_Curtis
    Topic creator
    Member Michael_Curtis
    Joined: 02.01.2018Posts: 3CollectionMichael_Curtis' CollectionRatings: 13
    , edited January 2 2018 at 1:42PM

Hi all, 

I'm new to the forum and also very new to 'proper' appreciation of scotch whiskies. Scotch (with coke) was my drink of choice in my late teens and early twenties and I've decided to take it a bit further. I was gifted a bottle of Laguvulin 16 a while back and was nearly knocked over by the extreme smokiness; perhaps not the kindest beginning! More recently I have played safe with some bottles of Glenfiddich 12 and 15, Glenlivet 15 and a few sample bottles for Christmas of the Glengoyne 10/15/18 varieties, all of which I've liked and most of which are the lighter, fruitier Speyside whiskies. 

So firstly, do you have any recommendations of any other distilleries/malts to try along a similar (or better!) line?

Secondly, can you recommend a relatively gentle 'transition' scotch to help me broaden my palate?  

Finally, can you give any pointers on identifying more subtle scents when nosing? I've watched some videos but I can seemingly only get general 'fruity' or 'apple' etc when I try, other people seem to identify hundreds! Does this just come with practise or is my leg being pulled? Haha

Thanks!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Michael_Curtis 

If you like Glengoyne you may also try out Glenfarclas, but skip the entry level Glenfarclas and go for the 15 year old.

Also Tomatin is the gentle side of the highlands and you may like them. And Tomatin has a lightly smokey whisky called Cu Bocan. That is a gentle introduction to smokey whiskies.

To feel more taste when tasting one can practice. Smell a lot of different things and do it again and again. The same with taste.

Michael_Curtis liked that
  • Michael_Curtis
    Topic creator
    Member Michael_Curtis
    Joined: 02.01.2018Posts: 3CollectionMichael_Curtis' CollectionRatings: 13
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep my eyes open for those ones!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Michael_Curtis 

Both Glenfarclas and Tomatin sells miniature and/or smaller bottles. So it is a good start without buying larger bottles.

Michael_Curtis liked that