Hello from Illinois, USA

• Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Joined: 24.10.2017Posts: 21CollectionAj_Renys CollectionRatings: 0

I would like to say hello and to give a small introduction. 

My name is Andrew I am from a small town in the state of Illinois, about 20 miles north of the site of the old Hiram Walker distillery. 

I am not new to drinking whisky/whiskey, but I am new to actually tasting and savoring it. (I was unaware in my 20s of what I was missing). 

Current favorites are Auchentoshan 12 year, and Glenfiddich 12. 

While I do like Glenmorangie 10, I feel like I couldn't dislike it so I don't put it on the list.

I just purchased a bottle of Talisker 10. I have sampled some small bottles of Ledaig 10 and Tobermory and liked them, but when I came across a bottle of Talisker 10 750ml for $35 USD I grabbed it. Because it typically runs $75-85 USD for 750ml I figure if it is not to my taste i am not out the full price.

Well, that's is some about me, I hope to learn much from here.

Thank you for reading.

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Aj_Reny 

Welcome to the forum!

Sláinte!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
  • Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Options

Well, I tasted the Talisker 10 last night, and it is quite a wonderful drink.

I was skeptical as some have described it as a peppery finish, but it wasn't as biting as I thought it would be. I believe I will have another after work tonight and save my Auchentoshan 12 for the weekend.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Aj_Reny 

Talisker is almost the perfect dram for me. Just the right bit of smoke and has a good complexity. There are several other good Taliskers around.

• Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn Talisker 18 is delicious...smoky,sweet,spicy..all in pefect balance.Not the smoke monster Lagavulin 16 is..but that is very good too..and at £49 a bottle...excellent value!!!

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Aj_Reny Welcome to the forum.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s 

Thank you for the welcome. I thoroughly enjoy your review videos, and have found them quite informational.

I have a question if you read this. 

I found your review for the Big Peat blend whisky on youtube, however I only found it in German. ( I can speak enough French to get a meal and a place to stay haha) but my wife and daughter are the fluent German speakers. 

Anyway, how is the Big Peat Christmas edition? I would like to get some but in the States it is difficult to find and very expensive when you do. 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Aj_Reny We are tasting a lot more whiskies in English than in German. But it will take another two to three years to catch up. I'm sorry about that.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Aj_Reny
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s 

That is quite alright. I appreciate all you do for the tasting community, thank you for your time!