I really want to like scotch

• Percham
    Topic creator

All I've been drinking lately is rye or high rye bourbon. A few months ago my local liquor store had a whiskey tasting and one of the samples I got was Highland Park Dark Origins. It was by far the best whiskey I ever tasted. To me the nose was deep rich caramel with a touch of sweet smoke, and the flavor had a lot of dark caramel and dark chocolate with a very warm cozy finish. I immediately bought a bottle, and I don't know what happened, but when I got home and poured a glass it was all gasoline and burning tires. It literally made me gag. Luckily I was able to donate it to a brother in law. Since then I've tried Highland Park 12 and Macallan 12 with the same burnt tire flavors. Apparently I'm just one of those people that doesn't like peat smoke. I've also tried Monkey Shoulder and found that to be tolerable, but it still has a little bit of a Band-Aid finish. I really want to find a scotch like what I had at that tasting. 

I've seen some reviews that said the Glenfiddich 15 Solara Reserve is not peaty at all and has some really nice spice notes that a rye drinker would enjoy. Another one that's been recommended to me is Glengoyne. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track here.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Percham Yes, I think so. Glengoyne advertises with its lack of peat. But be also careful with the use of Sherry casks, because the Macallan 12yrs is produced without peat as well. There might be burnt flavors from the Sherry casks as well.

I would start with the Glengoyne 10yrs.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com