Johnnie Walker Blue Ghost and Rare

• Preston_Jannika
    Topic creator
    Member Preston_Jannika

Johnnie released a new bottle of the Blue Label Ghost and Rare stating it's rare and limited.  I email Johnnie Walker on their website they reply back they have no answer to my question.  Does anyone know how many bottle was released?

What so great about this Ghost and Rare anyways? My Compass box the general released about 1620 bottles and it stated the ages of the whisky they are blending with.

With this Johnnie Walker Blue Ghost and Rare doesn't sound rare after all, I bought one with the numbered 13,xxx and I google around for pictures and saw one  20,000. 

Who know they might have 200,000 of these bottles, if this the case I will never buy Johnnie blue label again in my life for trying to make a sale with their RARE my rear you know what!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Preston_Jannika 

Let us see what is know. The following has been stated.

The first batch has been built around single malt whisky from Brora, which closed in 1983, but which will reopen by 2020.

Two additional lost distilleries are also included in the blend – grain whisky from Cambus and single malt from Pittyvaich – alongside five ‘rare’ expressions from the existing distilleries of Cameronbridge, Clynelish, Glenkinchie, Glenlossie and Royal Lochnagar.

So it is a premium blend with maybe 40% malt whisky in built around Brora. So that will probably mean a couple of casks of Brora and then if one assume one cask from each single malt distillery. That adds up to at least nine casks. Then maybe add 13 casks of grain whisky. That gives at least 22 casks. Now lets say at least 200 liters per cask that and the whisky is bottled at 46%. That gives at least 22*200=4400 bottles. I would assume for such a big blending that they would maybe double the casks used at least. So your approximation of 20000 bottles is not so far off I would say.

• Preston_Jannika
    Topic creator
    Member Preston_Jannika
    Options

I found this bottle numbered at 21598, which is a lot, selling at $400 a bottle is way too much since there are so many has been released. I bought one without studying first, so it's too late, I will just have to keep it for my collection.  I will never make a mistake again, collecting whiskey there are miss and hit, and this one i think i miss (a lost).  Not going to worth much 10 years from now, my compass box the general is at $2k now and i had it for 4 years.  From what i have notice this is another of Johnnie Walker sales gimmick.  Compass box the general also called mystery blend with 33 years old as the youngest age.  No wonder compass box price has increased.  I will enjoy Johnnie Walker as a drink rather than collecting.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Preston_Jannika 

I may have related elsewhere in this forum about the Macallan Edition No. 1, which they claimed as limited edition of ONLY 291 casks. when queried "innocently" on their facebook posting, they helpfully replied that there were a total of 129,000 bottles.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

What so great about this Ghost and Rare anyways? My Compass box the general released about 1620 bottles and it stated the ages of the whisky they are blending with.

@Preston_Jannika 

sadly you know what? the word RARE has different meaning commensurate with the size of the whisky house.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Preston_Jannika 

Some negative things said inscortch whisky magazine

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/opinion-debate/the-way-i-see-it/17073/why-lost-whiskies-should-never-be-blended/

@hwchoy 

It was Diageo who made the standard bottling of Mortlach into the rare old NAS whisky :frown:

hwchoy liked that
  • nesswatch Member Joined: 22.02.2015Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Preston_Jannika 

just received 2 bottles and bottle number 40139 was highest number, not a very limited release in my world.

hwchoy liked that
  • Preston_Jannika
    Topic creator
    Member Preston_Jannika
    Options

@nesswatch I am drinking all my five bottles of johnnies walker blue that I have been collecting since 2013 plus this ghost and rare. They have no increasing value for collecting.  I will never buy johnnie product again. They have lost me as a customer plus all people that connected with me. 

By releasing the ghost and rare with over 40,000 bottles is not so rare in anyone book beside their. They are not honest when I email them for number of bottles releases.  I was hoping 2000 or less but this is another sale gimmick from them.  I know it's my fault for not doing my research but I was afraid it might be gone. Now after months I drove back to total wine time to time it was still there collecting dust with their deep price.  

Very disappointed!

• jimb2u Member Joined: 19.01.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@Preston_Jannika I wound up with bottle 641...did a side by side with a recent release of the Blue and didn’t taste enough difference to justify the $399 price.  Live and learnimage

• ruouchivas Member Joined: 14.07.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@jimb2u i think you right, i tried it and see not much different between us, thank for share

bedlamborn liked that
  • DramTasticVoyage Member DramTasticVoyage Joined: 09.04.2018Posts: 205CollectionDramTasticVoyages CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@Preston_Jannika  I do enjoy JWs standard line up. Double Black is one of my favorite go to whiskys to pour over ice. However, everything past Green Label is over hyped, over priced, and under flavored. At least Ghost and Rare has a decent ABV. Blue Label is a slap in the face. $200+ for 40% and no age statement? No thanks. Green Label tastes better anyway. 

“I’m a simple man. All I want is enough sleep for two normal men, enough whiskey for three, and enough women for four.” 

~Joel Rosenburg

bedlamborn liked that