I have a Question

• 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    , edited December 18 2017 at 3:16PM

What does it mean by First-Fill Ex-bourbon (Balvenie single barrel 12yr)??

Ex-bourbon oak cask means that it is once (or more than once) used for maturing bournbon whisky

And

The Cask brought to Scotland and used for the very first time they are known as ‘First Fill’.

Then...What is First-fill ex-bourbon cask?

Never been used before but it is ex-bourbon? it doesn't make sense to me.

Help me plz!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@공존 

For bourbon there are legal requirements how a bourbon is produced. One is the following.

• Aged in new, charred oak containers

So for bourbon a barrel is always new oak and it can only be used once. After that the barrels are sold to for example Whisky producers in Scotland.

When the barrels is used for the first time with scotch (scottish whisky) it will be called a first fill ex-bourbon barrel. Which means that it is the first time it has been filled with scottish whisky and previously it has been used once for maturation of bourbon.

• 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    , edited December 18 2017 at 6:46PM
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Really Thank you for the reply!

So, is first-fill ex-bourbon cask same as first-fill american oak cask or first-fill bourbon cask? Am I right?

and
    If bourbon uses barrel that is always new oak and it can only be used once

what is second-fill bourbon cask then..?

Filled with bourbon once and then filled with whisky and filled with whisky again??

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@공존 

I use here in my reply barrel when it has been used for bourbon as that is what they use in the USA while cask if the first thing ever filled was something else than bourbon. Like wine and sherry.

1. is first-fill ex-bourbon cask same as first-fill american oak cask and first-fill bourbon cask?

I would say that first-fill ex-bourbon barrels are the same as first-fill bourbon barrel. Because people tend to forget the word ex.
    However first fill American oak cask can be different from the bourbon barrels. Because an American oak cask can be used for wine, sherry and other things. And if used for whisky afterwards then it can be an first fill American oak cask.

2.what is second-fill bourbon cask then..?

After using the bourbon barrel once for scottish whisky then it can be filled again and then it will be a second fill bourbon barrel. After that it could be used for a third time and then it would be a third fill and so on.

But each use of the barrel gives less and less taste to the whisky and finally one only gets bitterness from the barrel.

• 공존
    Topic creator
    Member 공존
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Then, is First-Fill American Oak Cask can be mean that it is First-Fill Sherry Oak Cask. Am I right?

Thank you so much!

Problem solved

Thank you!

Options

@공존 

The First-Fill American Oak Cask can be mean that it is First-Fill Sherry Oak Cask. Am I right?

Yes, that is my interpretation to. It is a first fill cask made from American oak so that means it can be a first fill Sherry oak cask.

• Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn It is usually Bourbon!

Options

@Highlander 

A barrel is used for bourbon. If it is a cask it is usually for wine or sherry.

• Highlander_2 Member Joined: 31.08.2017Posts: 168Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn Bourbon casks are used for whisky too.They give off particular flavours,like Sherry casks do as well!

Options

@Highlander 

I would not use the words bourbon cask, I would use bourbon barrel for the American Standard barrel that is being used to age bourbon in. And of course they are also used afterwards to store Scottish whisky in.

And if someone used the word American Oak Cask I would not associate it with a bourbon barrel but with something else like wine or sherry.

Options

@Highlander @공존 

After speaking to my American, Scottish and English friends I am also bit confused.As it seems that barrel and cask is used for the same things but barrel seems to be more used in the USA than cask.

An oak container used for bourbon is normally called bourbon barrel. While an oak container made from American oak could be called American oak cask and it from what i have seen I would say it is used for some kind of wine (normal wine, fortfied wine and so on) but it could also be used for bourbon. But for what it has been used one has to look into the context where the word has been used.