NEED HELP!

• asuraa
    Topic creator

Hey guys!

My friend just opened a small bar in Tokyo and I wanted to get him a unique/rare whisky (non-Japanese and non-peaty) as a gift.  

My budget is around $300 US

Thanks in advance!

EK

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@asuraa 

If he is opening a bar, I would recommend distilleries that are more popular and well known, than things that would be obscure: Macallan 18, chivas regal 25, Balvenie 21 Madeira Cask, or Highland Park Fire Edition...whiskies that would sell well at the bar. 

I'm sure there are others in this forum who would know better than me, though

asuraa liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@asuraa 

Is it for him to use in the bar or is it for a personal gift?

If it is for the bar some famous brands like Macallan or Highland Park would be good.

If it is for him personally than some whisky with a vintage or even a single cask would be good. Because these feel very special when receiving them.

• asuraa
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn It's for the bar... I ended up getting the Glenmorangie Signet but may have overpayed for it :frown:

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@asuraa 

Glenmorangie is a good choice as they are famous. I cannot even buy the Signet in Sweden. For some whiskies one will pay an overprice but it will look good in the bar and that is the most important thing.

In what region in Tokyo is the bar? Visited Tokyo once and I loved the city.