Hello from South Africa!

• MarkTC
    Topic creator
    , edited December 6 2017 at 10:51AM

Hello there, I'm Mark from Cape Town, South Africa. Been watching a lot of Horst's videos on YouTube and learning a lot about Whisky. I generally enjoy craft beer, but I'm now a bit hooked to learning about Whisky ever since bumping into Whisky.com on YouTube.

I'm very new to the Whisky world and have only had Glenfiddich 12YO Special Reserve and Jack Daniel's Old No7 some years back. I remember mixing it with coke and stuff, but I'm over that now:biggrin:

I've recently bought a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select (47% ABV) and I'm enjoying it very much. Looking forward to learning more and getting suggestions from you all. I'm thinking my next bottle would be a peaty Whisky (Laphroaig Select/10?), I remember tasting one (forgot the name) at a friends' house.

Thanks.

• Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@MarkTC 

Welcome to the forum!

Peaty whiskies are my favourite ones, specially with a hint of sherry, port, or madeira wine sweetness. For a start, both of your choices (10Y and Select) are good ones, maybe I would add some more like Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16, and Bowmore 12.

There are also some non-Islay peaty scotch whiskies, Highland and Speyside ones, that you can try in a stage two. :smile:

Regards,

Vasco

• MarkTC
    Topic creator
    Options

@Vasco 

Thanks for the welcome, I will definitely check out your suggestions and we'll see how it goes.

Regards,

Mark

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@MarkTC 

For Laphroaig I would go with the ten year old and stay away from the Select. talisker ten is also one that I like but not a whisky for newcomers.

• MarkTC
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn 

Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to get the Laphroaig 10YO or Talisker 10YO.

Regards,

Mark

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@MarkTC Hello Mark! There is a very good whisky bar at the harbor in the Cape Grace. A little bit too expensive for staying over night :-(

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • MarkTC
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s Hello Horst! Thanks for pointing out the Cape Grace, and yes, it is quite expensive to spend the night. I'll try to convince my wife to get me a tasting experience there :idea:. Looks like they have a great collection!

Thanks again for the wealth of information you provide on YouTube and this website.

Regards,

Mark

• MarkTC
    Topic creator
    Options

Hi gents,

Can I please have your opinion and help on the following, I'm thinking of buying two Whiskies and so far here the list I want to choose from. I would prefer to have one moderately peated and the other can be any:

Highland Park 12 

Balvenie 12 Double Wood  
    Dalwhinnie 15 
    Glenfarclas 12 
    Lagavulin 16 
    Bowmore 12 
    Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 
    Aberlour 12 

Thanks for your suggestions.

Mark.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@MarkTC 

For moderately peated I think that Bowmore 12 year old would be good for you.

While for the second bottle it all depends on what you want and like? But I think that you cannot go wrong with Aberlour 12 if you want some sherry.

If you are interested in the more red fruity aromas of a port finishing then the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 is your pick.

For a bit of more easy drinking then Dalwhinnie 15 is good.

MarkTC liked that