Balvenie 17 Doublewood

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator

Dont think my first message was saved...so try again!!!This so-called whisky is total rubbish from start to..almost no existent finish.No flavour hardly at all...you'd get more flavours from licking an oak table...watery,incipid finish and a total let down for £72!!Could have gotten Glengoyne 18....or Glenfarclas 17 for that price....real flavoursome whisky..not this watery nonsense.Will never buy Balvenie EVER again!

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Wow...sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your purchase!  We all have those moments where we were underwhelmed with a scotch, and that is part of the journey.   

The only thing I could say is to try it again a couple of weeks later and see if your opinion has changed.  If you still don't like it, then you can use it as a base for other blends, which is what I do with whiskies that I don't like.

For example, pour yourself a glass of the balvenie 17 and add a couple splashes of another whisky to it, perhaps a smokey whisky...maybe it will help it taste better.  Another option is to trade it with a friend. I would wager that you are in the minority of people who don't like this scotch, and should have no problem trading it with someone else.

Additionally, you could have it with ice and coke, or make some other kind of cocktail with it.  But like I said, let it sit for a month and come back to it.  Maybe you'll like it better after it opens up a little.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman Thanks..but this whisky is incapable of opening up as it has next to no flavour.May just clean the toilets and drains with it!!!At least my Glengoyne 21 arrived today which is amazing!!!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

Did you get a bad batch? Because even if Balvenie is not one of my favourite whiskies it is decent to me and has a delicate taste.

It seems to me that you like whiskies with much bigger flavours like GlenDronach or Glenfarclas. Have you tried GlenDronach yet?

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Yes i do like bigger flavours in my whisky,but Glendronach 18 was not really to my liking..too dark and heavy i think.Glenfarclas,Glengoyne,Aberlour,Macallan...all to my liking...Balvenie,Dalmore,Glenfiddich are all naff in my opinion!Its the single malt journey of discovery!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

GlenDronach from what I understand uses a lot of PX sherry casks while the other uses more Oloroso sherry casks. Because when GlenDronach releases single cask bottling it is so much PX sherry casks. And the PX gives another flavour than the Oloroso. So that may be the reason. Maybe something for you to investigate :smile:

I would love to try  a two single casks from one distillery of same age but one stored on Oloroso and the other one in PX.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Oloroso is the fruity sherry rather than sweet...most distilleries use Oloroso i think.I think i prefer spicy,malty,oaky,coffee..rather than just sweet...I think when you really like the flavours of a whisky...you just know it...even if it is complex and hard to identify specific flavours.Glengoyne 21 and Glenfarclas 25 are my two faves so far....GG 21 is the sweeter one..but both excellent!

Options

@Highlander 

Oloroso is very common, would love to try some of the rarer sherries. Like a whisky finished in Amontillado.

It i hard sometimes why one like a whisky. But when you drink the right one you know :smile:

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

Oloroso is very common, would love to try some of the rarer sherries. Like a whisky finished in Amontillado.

the only one that comes to mind is Glenkinchie Distillers edition

• Markscotchcrazed Member Joined: 05.02.2017Posts: 33Ratings: 0
    Options

@Highlander 

Ouch! Is this you’re first experience with Balvenie or is specifically the 17yr that dissapoints? I got a bottle of the 12 yr doublewood for Christmas a few years ago and It wasn’t what I thought. At the time I had trouble detecting any sherry influence at all! This was my 2nd ever bottle when I was starting out and I always wondered if it would be different if I go back to it now.

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed Didnt really like 12 or 14 either.Think Balvenie is just to mellow and bland a whisky to grab my taste buds..prefer bigger flavours in my dram..like Glenfarclas or Glengoyne or Aberlours..which are bursting with flavours.I didnt like Glenfiddich which is Balvenies bigger brother they say...or Dalmore...both highly over rated in my humble opinion!