Good whisky?

• pcarlavilla
    Topic creator

Hello,

My father's birthday is coming and i wanna buy him a good one

I was thinking to buy the JW Blue Label, but some people told me that is overrated, my father normally drinks Lagavulin 16 years, but i would like something better for his birthday

Any ideas?

Thanks

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited November 27 2017 at 12:23PM
    Options

@pcarlavilla 

Has your father had the Lagavulin Distillers Edition?  It's fantastic stuff.  It's the same as the 16 year, but they finish it in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks.  This adds sweetness, dark fruits and more overall complexity.  Talisker 18 would be another great choice, seeing how he likes smokey whisky's.

If you REALLY want to shock your father, get him a bottle of Octomore from Bruichladdie.  Buying this will either result in him worshipping you as a god, or cursing the day you were born; there IS NO in between:lol: .  The prices vary widely, but Octomore is the most heavily peated whisky in the world.  Be careful with this one.  I can't promise you that he'll like it, but it will sure be special and memorable.  Watch @horst_s review's of this before you make the purchase.

It seems like he enjoys smokey whiskies, but if you want to try something else, perhaps the Glenmorangie Signet would be a good choice...?  It's unpeated, though, so don't get this if your father only likes smokey scotch like the Lagavulin.   

I'm sure people will disagree, but I think the Glenmorangie Signet is one of those scotches that everyone who likes whisky should try at least once.  Plus, it comes in a really beautiful case and bottle.  Yes, it's colored.  Yes, it's a no age statement.  Yes it's probably overpriced.  But so is Johnnie Walker Blue, which in my opinion isn't as good.  He might not even know what this bottle is, but I promise that when he opens it, he'll KNOW that he has something special in his hands! 

BTW, if you get it, Glenmorangie rhymes with "orange"; emphasis is on the "mo", not the "an".

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f3/Glenmorangie.ogg

• pcarlavilla
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman 

Actually i dont know a lot about whiskeys, but i think that the Signet Glenmorangie its a good one, but as you said that one and the JW Blue Label are overrated, so i dont know, because everyone knows the JW and say that is the best...

And yes, i was watching the Lagavulin Distillers Edition, and i think is awesome, but i always gave him Lagavulin Whiskies, and i´d like to buy him a different one this time

Signet Glenmorangie is the best option?

Thanks

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@pcarlavilla 

Glenmorangie Signet could be a good one. For a bit smoky whisky with a bit more age than Talisker 25 year old could be interesting. Although it costs more than the Signet.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@pcarlavilla 

if he likes smoky, why not an ardbeg or a laphroaig.

• Preston_Jannika Member Preston_Jannika Joined: 04.12.2017Posts: 6Ratings: 0
    Options

@pcarlavilla 

I love Michter's US*1 Toasted Barrel

and Angel Envy Finished in port Barrels.

• Elizabeth_Green Member Elizabeth_Green Joined: 16.08.2018Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@pcarlavilla My comment can a bit late, nevertheless there are many birthdays to come!

Personally I prefer such brands as Redbreast 12 Year, which is quite expensive or Jim Beam Black Extra Aged. The last one has some special taste Jim Beam rarely produces.

Out of more or less reasonably priced liquor, Green Spot Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey (Ireland) is my top ( I'm talking especially about this one https://www.drinkablegifts.com/product/Bottle-of-Green-Spot-Pure-Pot-Still-Irish-Whiskey ). Sent to my boyfriend last year and really loved it. He said it has some manish taste, girls usually don't drink such stuff. But not me !! :wink:

Would be nice to know what you finally decided and how it tasted to your dad!