Balvenie 17 DoubleWood

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator

Ordered this...arriving Tuesday...must be very good as Horst loves it(Auf Deutsch,naturlich)...gets 95/100 on Der Whisky Club....a huge score..better than GlenFarc 25 and Glengoyne 21 i think.Looking forward to this 17 yr old...only £72...cheap...compared to some websites!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Highlander 

I have tried two Balvenies so far and not been so impressed. Will be nice to see yur reaction to it.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn 

I can't believe I'm actually going to disagree with you for once!

I like Balvenie a lot and the 17yr double wood so far is my favorite.  I think it's a little overpriced, but it has the best of both worlds.  For those new to scotch, it is "smooth", flavorful and easy to drink.  For aficianado's, it is very complex with a very wide variety of aromas and flavors as the whisky develops, both in the glass and the bottle.  If money was not an object for me, I would always have a bottle of the 17yr in my cabinet

I think Balvenie, as a whole, does this better than just about any distillery; consistent quality that is appreciated by both the casual drinker and enthusiast alike.  As a matter of fact, if I was to host a tasting event to people who both love scotch and have never had scotch, I would probably do a Balvenie flight.  

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I have tried 12 Doublewood and 14 Caribbean Cask and both were only "OK".17 DoubleWood gets very high ratings everywhere...so hopefully its delish!

• Highlander_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman It is £90 on some websites!Its arriving today so hopefully very good!Was disappointed with 12 & 14....so hopefully not with 17!Glengoyne 21 arriving later this week....my all time fave so far i think...even better than GlenFarclas 25...which is very inconsistent in quality I find!

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman 

Will see if I can find a dram of the 17yo at my local pub and see what i think about it. The 14 Caribbean cask was not good for me, but then I don' like rum either :smile:

It is good to disagree sometimes :biggrin: