ballantine's 17 year old

• asim_niazi
    Topic creator
    Member asim_niazi

Hi found this bottle at a local Japanese store I know of it’s rareity and believe it’s the 1990 bottleing editition, I was wondering what’s the overall rareity of this dram was ? And if it’s the famed batch that Jim Murray reviewed ? Thanks. imagethimageiimageimageimage

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The 17yo was/is quite popular. The 17yo went to the Asian markets due to the shear number 17, which has a special meaning in Asia.

The content is just fine. But it is a Blended Scotch whisky and misses the intensity of the Single Malts, connoisseurs prefer today.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@horst_s 

actually I am not aware of any special significance for the number 17 in Asia, which is of course a big place.  speaking only for mandarin, hokkien/taiwanese and cantonese speaking regions, we prefer numbers ending with 8, and generally do not prefer those ending in 4.  however I think most serious drinkers ignore it.

• asim_niazi
    Topic creator
    Member asim_niazi
    Options

@horst_s 

Thanks for the knowledge Horst! Would you happen to know by the pictures what year this was bottles in ? I know jim Murray awarded this whiskey best of the year. Is this the same bottle he had ? Any other information would be great. On the nose some alcohol can be picked up and a light sweet scent of fresh green apples, also a sweet earthy/oaky scent with little ppm of smoke. On the pallet I found this whiskey, although being aged 17years has a good a amount of spirit “kick” followed by a citrus note with slight sweetness shining through, some green apple, and slight oakness develops, smoke is subtle 3-5 ppm But for me the the true pleasure is in the finish medium length but with rich mouth watering silkeness, the oil content is quite pleasant  paired with this 43% ABV. Also it’s a pleasure that you commented on this post HORST I’m a fan of your YouTube channel and watch it diligently! 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@asim_niazi Sorry for answering late. But we were very busy.

The bottle looks quite actual. No idea how to find out the bottling year.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com