Glengoyne 12yo, opening up after a few months

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited October 29 2017 at 8:48PM

A couple of months ago I opened a bottle of Glengoyne 12yo. I found it to be a bit underwhelming and the flavours not so developed despite tasting it several times. After a few months I went back and tasted it again and now it was much better. The flavours were must more integrated and the sherry tones were really nice.

This things that the taste changing for the better after a few months is this common for some whiskies?

• A.Shafner Guest, Member A.Shafner Joined: 28.12.2016Posts: 10CollectionWhisky ShelvesRatings: 138
    Options

Yes it does. I was not impressed with Glengoyne 12 at first,but it got a little better along the road. Didn't like it to be honest. Similar situation happened with me with Dalwhinnie 15. After couple of month fruit aromas started to dominate the nose and floral notes started to fade away. I didn't like it that much because whisky started to lose its original complexity. But definitely whisky became much  smoother when it oxidized. With my Glenlivet 18 aromas became much better and developed in to something very special. It was a 100 times better whisky then the day I opened it. So for most of the whisky,time plays positive role.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@A.Shafner 

I tried a Dalwhinnie 15 at a bar and I was not so impressed. But that bottle had been open for some time so that may have been the reason.