Bowmore 15 Golden & Elegant, others whisky similar to it? Recommendation?

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

yes DFS has huge shops at all three (soon to be four) terminals in Changi, T2 and T3 are double floors and they have tasting samples for whiskies and cognac. I travel monthly and I will try if they have anything new and interesting. 

Last month i tried the Àraid 25 years, it is awesome. Exclusive only to DFS Singapore and Hong Kong. The 25 yo only 3,000 bottles. 

The new Longmorn 16 is way overpriced, like the Mortlach. I refused to pay such a price, but I was lucky to pick up a new bottling at the old price SGD108 when they just launched and got the prices wrong. 

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

Lagavulin is excellent if you like that style. Some people don't. But i consider Lagavulin 16yo to be a classic.

If you like Longmorn then you may like the Bruichladdich 10yo.

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.10.2017Posts: 12CollectionChawit's CollectionRatings: 1
    , edited October 19 2017 at 11:43AM
    Options

@hwchoy Yeah while the Longmorn 16 was nice, I dont think Im gonna pay that much again for it haha. Nice packaging tho.

Seems like I will need an excuse to have holiday in SG at some point hahaha. Would like to keep collections of whisky line up on a shelf. A personal bar always looks good!

@bedlamborn Im very eager to try Lagavulin 16! Should be here tmr or Monday, probably Monday :frown:
    I hope I will like it, from what I read, it sounds like somethink I would like to love.

On quick search on my usual whisky shops, cant seem to find Bruichladdich 10yo. I found 8yo,

How much whisky do people drink per week? Last weekend was long weekend, with Friday also a day off. I drank too much for my own liking. About 300-350ml across the 3 days. Maybe Its because I bought the Monkey Shoulder. Its cheaper than others I have, so I was less careful about it. Im aiming to not exceed 14 units per week. Thats still about 14 glasses of whisky per week. Should be enough.

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

Bruicladdich 8yo is also good. I have a bottle at home. Bruichladdich Bere Barley is a very special whisky and not for everyone.

How much one drink? that is hard to say. Some weeks nothing due to me driving a car all the time. Other weeks more due to holidays in Italy. Hard to say.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

I think Bangkok airport has an excellent selection too, and have a different selection from the DFS offerings. however DFS does have quite a few exclusives.  If you pass through Changi do check out the William Grant Rare Cask Selection - Àraid 25 years old. quite expensive but I think its worth it.

Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

Horst suggests 2 litres alcohol per year that works out to a 25ml dram every other day for a normal 43% abv.  

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn Im having Lagavulin 16 right now. Its so fantastic. I feel like having this with a nice piece of charcoal grilled steak. Smoky, strong, but pretty smooth to drink.

A bit of my tasting notes.

Its smell is kind of so-so. Smells of smoke, brine, some leathers, old wood. Not bad, but Im not impressed.

But its taste! Oh wow so damn nice.
    Smoky, but not pungent. Little bit salty and beefy, reminds me of charcoal grilled steak. It also has some notes of grilled fruits. A light sweet note. Very smooth. Lovely

The finish is salty and fruity. Medium length.

Ps. If anyone could bestow upon me the knowledge of picture rotation, that would be great. Its upright and portrait in my PC. But not when I put it here.

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy Sadly I dont fly that often haha. But actually I found a tax evading seller. Have quite good selections. Not everything, but very good and a lot cheaper than normal taxed shop. Got the Lagavulin 16 from that one. 40% cheaper than the next cheapest shop.

Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

I'm not sure about fakes in Bangkok but in general you should be careful about where you buy especially either those common high volume ones or very expensive ones.

, edited October 21 2017 at 2:49PM
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

if you are using windows, you can download a very useful tool call irfanview.  on a mac the image viewer can already do rotation.

but I assume you take the picture with your phone, then your photo app should be able to rotate.