Bowmore 15 Golden & Elegant, others whisky similar to it? Recommendation?

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.10.2017Posts: 12CollectionChawit's CollectionRatings: 1

Recently I bought the travel retail exclusive Bowmore 15 Golden and Elegant, and enjoyed it much more than expected.
    Im a novice whisky drinker mind you.

I had so far tried:

Balvenie 12 tripple cask

Balvenie 16 tripple cask

Bowmore 15 golden and elegant

JW black

Monkey Shoulder

I like the 2 balvenies. Monkey Shoulder is just sweet and nothing much more than that for me, boring.

I actually really like the Bowmore, and it tempts me to try more smoky whisky, so Im curious where does it sit on the smokiness scale?

Im looking to try maybe Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16, maybe Laphroaig and others Bowmore as well. So if you compare this Bowmore to the other whiskys, how would you describe it?

While Im at it, what do people think about Bowmore 15 Golden and Elegant? Couldnt find much reviews going around the internet.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

since you're passing through the airport and already tried the Bowmore 15, why not extend it with the Bowmore 18 which got excellent review from @horst_s .

I am quite immune to peat, but I have so far enjoyed the Laphroaig 18, PX cask, Quarter cask, 21 FoL, Bowmore Black Rock, and Ardbeg Supernova. I'm now looking for an excuse to open the Bowmore 18 or the Talisker 18.

bedlamborn liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

oh if you could find it at your airport, look out for Bowmore 10 years old "Inspired by the Devil's Cask".  it's smoky and sweet, full bodied, and very affordable.

bedlamborn liked that
  • Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

Thanks, but Im not at the air port. I bought the bottle 1.5 months ago, now its running out and I need a replacement haha.

I might try some bars that have good selections to see if I can handle heavily peated whisky. Im wondering where the Bowmore sit on the peat scale?

Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

are you from Bangkok?  just make a short trip to Saigon to look me up and buy some peaty stuff while you're at it :biggrin:

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

I would say that Bowmore is medium peated and not heavily peated like Laphroaig and Ardbeg.

More medium peated whiskies would be Talisker. While a bit lighter peated is Benromach. Both of these distilleries I recommend. As a good start try their ten year olds.

hwchoy liked that
  • Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy Yes Im from Bangkok. Maybe I will organise a trip! But just to go for whisky seems quite a bit alcoholic hahaha. Still the alcohol tax here is insane, they just raise the ceiling to 150% tax. Some cost double the same bottle in UK! And I used to study in UK, makes me regret not starting whisky hobby then.

@bedlamborn I just ordered Lagavulin 16. Really want to broaden my whisky experiences. Couldnt bring myself to pay at the bar, its so expensive. So I bought a bottle lol! My uncle likes Talisker, he usually has collections of them. I will go ask for some samples, thanks for the suggestions, will try them all slowly.

Yesterday I had some Longmorn 16. While no smoke at all, its very floral and fresh, with zesty note. Quite a hot tasting whisky tho, I like it.

bedlamborn liked that
    Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

do let let me know if you're coming. I'm in the south. but you'd have to BYOW, other than what I have. Too many fakes here. Which is why all my bottles are from Singapore Changi airport. have not been to Bangkok in many years. Liquor duty in Singapore is also crazy although it's a fixed amount based on the volume of alcohol. 

Did you have the new or previous bottling of Longmorn 16? They changed the bottle packaging, discontinued it for half a year, and doubled the prices!

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy I got the new Longmorn 16 one, blue packaging. I must say not exactly cheap, but I was curious!

I dont think I will plan to go any time soon. Im not the type to travel that often haha.  I get anxiety going where I have never been before.

Singapore airport also has some free whisky tasting right? My dad told me, but when I went there some years ago I hadnt start drinking whisky yet, a shame really.

• Chawit_Ongcharit
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy I forgot to ask, how did you know Im Thai? Did the name give it out that easily? I use google login. Was disappointed I couldnt at least change the display name lol.

Options

@Chawit_Ongcharit 

what else can you be? Khun Ongcharit ;-)

Used to spend quite a lot of time in Bangkok. I worked 6 months in Bangna back in 1994.