Buchanan's Black and White question

• Jfrick
    Topic creator
    , edited October 13 2017 at 12:10AM

Hello everyone!  I am new here, so please let me know if I should post this in another section.

I recently was given 2 old bottles of Buchanan's Black and White Scotch.  I'm trying to find what year they are and if they have any value.  Both bottles are identical.  They have the "spring" on the cap and I found on another site that they quit using that type of top in 1967.  I'm not sure if that is accurate or not.

Anyway, can anyone give me some info on these bottles?  Attached are 2 pics.  Both bottles I have are identical.

• Jfrick
    Topic creator
  • Jfrick
    Topic creator
  • Jfrick
    Topic creator
    Options

Thought I'd add this pic of the 2 tax stamps for if they offer any information.  From what I found, these stamps date the bottles to between 1945 and 1972.  That's as far as I got with the tax stamps.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

gotta say the condition on the labels are pristine for such old bottles. nevertheless the content will not age further once bottled, so they are as young as they once were.  it might be worth something to the collector.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

We get such questions quite often. But unfortunately, there are very few collectors out there, who are looking for such bottles. They are Blended Scotch Whiskies and collectors are looking for Single Malts.

That's the main problem with these bottles. They have most often no particular value. I always suggest that you buy another brand new bottle of the same kind and then compare the content with friends and have several nice evenings reflecting the past.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com