Need help for a gift for my brothers wedding! Please Help

• Ragnarok_2
    Topic creator

Hello all,

I am in need of some help in deciding on a bottle of scotch to gift my brother for his wedding. My lack of knowledge on the subject is abysmal as you can probably tell from my lack of knowing the difference between scotch, whiskey, and bourbon.

So if you could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

List of some scotch/whiskeys/bourbons that he drinks:

• The Macallan 18 year
    • Hudson Four Grain Bourbon
    • The GlenDronach 12 year
    • Glenfiddich Malt Masters Edition Single Malt
    • Tincup Mountain Whiskey
    • The Most Righteous (It's a New York Catskills Distilling Company)
    • New York State Yankee Bourbon Whiskey

He said he likes his scotch matured in a sherry cask. He likes low quality rye as he said the high quality ryes are too spicy and biting for him.

I had thought about "The Macallan Rare Cask", however I have read that is a bit spicy so I took that off the list. I also wanted to be original and avoid the standard "I don't know anything about scotch so here is a bottle of Johnny Blue" gift. Not saying Johnny Blue is anything to scoff at, however I want it to be special and original. 

I was suggested a bottle of Glenfarclas Family Cask 1996 however, he hasn't heard of this brand before so I am hesitant to spend a lot of money on something he has never heard of before. 

I could get him another bottle of The Macallan 18 year but like I said, I'd like to be original. 

My budget on this is 250-300 USD, however I'd be willing to spend up to 350 if necessary. 

Any and all help will be appreciated. 

Thank you!

• thepeanut Member Joined: 17.08.2015Posts: 37CollectionThePeanuts CollectionRatings: 8
    Options

@Ragnarok I might be biased but I'll pick Macallan 18 or Glenfiddich Malt Masters

Whisky Lover, Experiencing new Flavors~
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Ragnarok 

If he likes Glendronach then for example Glendronach 18 or 21 year old could be a good choice. Or even a GlenDronach single cask relase with some age.

kroman liked that
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

I agree with a glendronach 21 or single cask. Here are some other options that might do the job, but also come in nice display cases / shapped bottles, as this is a special event.  All of these have some sherry influence in them

Other options:

Glenlivet 25

Dalmore King Alexander III

Glenglassaugh 30 (glen-GLASS-aww)  This distillery is owned by the same people who make Glendronach

The Glenfarclas would also be a great choice.  Even though he hasn't heard of them, I'm sure he'll like it.

Bunnahabhain (BOO-na-ha-vin) 25 would also be a fantastic choice and comes in a beautiful case.  I'm sure he hasn't heard of it, but it's one of my favorite distilleries and has a healthy ammount of sherry influence.  this might be too expensive, though.

so, if you want original, go bunnahabhain or glenglassaugh

if you want classy, go dalmore

if you want sherry, go glendronach 21

if you want a "safer" bet, go glenlivet.

All will have great flavor, so don't worry about that aspect 

Also keep in mind that prices will vary WIDELY depending on where you are at

• clahantar Member clahantar Joined: 22.11.2021Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited November 25 2021 at 9:27AM
    Options

Finally, I found a thread that resonates with my current situation! My brother's a rich, rich dude, ok. ME, on the other side, I live paycheck to paycheck. I mean, look where he's going to have his wedding https://cixada.co.uk/ibiza-weddings/wedding-venues-villas-hotels/. That must cost him thousands of dollars! I'm still a student so that you can understand me. He's a whisky lover. But, one, I know nothing about whisky, and two, I don't have as much money to spend! So I think I'll steal one of these brands all of you mentioned. Hopefully, it will taste good. I mean, is the intention that matters, right?