Sherry Cask - white Oak

• Markscotchcrazed
    Topic creator

I had been told that the flavour from sherry cask maturation comes from the oak and not so much by  soaking up the sherry left in the cask. When European Oak is replaced by American white Oak for sherry maturation is it any good? Further, do you know if there is a significant difference between a second fill Bourbon cask and second fill sherry cask in American oak? Since the sherry is gone with 2nd fill, only the oak is left.....

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed 

Look at this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU36L64Pg8g&t=5146s

And look at the wall behind the people from Glengoyne. It is quite interesting as one can see how the colour of the whisky changes depending on what kind of cask is being used. Sherry or bourbon, american oak vs European oak. and if you haethe time watch the entire video as they discuss what influences their whisky. Sherry vs bourbon and so on.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed During the first few months the whisky adds most of its color from the Sherry left over in the cask. But from the beginning the whisky adds as well taste and color from the cask. After a year or so most color (and taste) comes from the cask. Therefore we talk about a finishing (adding Sherry taste) in the matter of months. Going over to years we talk about a second maturation.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Markscotchcrazed
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s 

Thanks Horst. With several bottles on the market claiming to be exclusively aged in Sherry casks, how do you tell if it's the spicier European Oak or the cheaper American Oak? Will the colour be different (assuming no colourant)? 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed 

I'm under the impression that all ex Sherry casks are European oak. Do they now bring American white oak casks to Spain to have them seasoned with sherry?

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed 

For example I usually try information on what kind of oak that they use. It is hard.´to find this information. Some say it openly for example Glengoyne says that their 21 and 25 yo are all matured in European oak for example.

@hwchoy
    I think that the sherry producers almost use 100% American oak nowadays unless paid by distilleries.

hwchoy liked that
  • Markscotchcrazed
    Topic creator
    Options

@hwchoy 

The Macallan 12 year double cask is matured in sherry seasoned casks with a mix of American oak and European Oak. Makes me wonder if other sherried scotches are also a blend of oak but not advertising the fact. I guess tasting is the best way to tell. 

hwchoy liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed You only have the chance to taste. What I heared so far, two out of three Sherry casks are from white oak today.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that