Birthday Malt

• GoHabs
    Topic creator
    Member GoHabs

Hi Everyone,

New member here.  I'll be celebrating a birthday soon, so it's time treat myself to few new bottles of Scotch.  Looking for some recommendations for someone who prefers non-peaty/smokey scotch that isn't too sweet.  I find Macallan 12 overly sweet, but I love the Balvinie Double Wood 12.

Thank you

• Agerskov Member Joined: 25.05.2017Posts: 7CollectionThe Lawyer's CollectionRatings: 42
    Options

The first whisky that popped up in my mind when i read your post was Old Pultney. Maybe consider that one as your next step, if you like Balvinie 12Y Double Wood. 

Or go for Nikka from the Barrel (Japanese whisky). Though it is not a scotch, it is a quite spicy non-smokey whisky. Or Amrut Fusion (Indian whisky), which is kind of in the same category. Both are very interesting whiskies, and they are both what I would consider to be non-smokey and not sweet at the same time. But they are both fairly spicy. 

I'm also a big fan of Glenfiddich 14Y Rich Oak, which is not too sweet as well. 

• GoHabs
    Topic creator
    Member GoHabs
    Options

Agerskov said:

The first whisky that popped up in my mind when i read your post was Old Pultney. Maybe consider that one as your next step, if you like Balvinie 12Y Double Wood. 

Or go for Nikka from the Barrel (Japanese whisky). Though it is not a scotch, it is a quite spicy non-smokey whisky. Or Amrut Fusion (Indian whisky), which is kind of in the same category. Both are very interesting whiskies, and they are both what I would consider to be non-smokey and not sweet at the same time. But they are both fairly spicy. 

I'm also a big fan of Glenfiddich 14Y Rich Oak, which is not too sweet as well. 

Thank you for the feedback.  I'm a fan of Old Pultney 12 and Glenfiddich 12.  I just picked up a bottle of Glenfiddich 15.  Wasn't that impressed.  Perhaps I should have gone with the 14?