Forum FAQ

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Guest, Administrator ben_2
    Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 271Collectionbens CollectionRatings: 92

Welcome to the forum,

as in most internet forums, there are a few rules.

1. Enjoy the forum
    Having fun is the most important part. Otherwise why should you surf the internet.

2. Be polite
    Other users want to enjoy the forum, too. So please don't be impolite to any other members. Keep in mind some of the other users could be beginners.

3. Don't do anything illegal.
    The web is not a "country" without laws. Don't break any copyrights, patents or other laws that protect information. As user you are responsible for the content you post.

4. Don't use the forum commercially.
    Don't try to sell whiskies on a commercial basis. If we find you posting to many links to a shop you own, then we will warn or delete you.

I work for whisky.com
  • XLarge Member XLarge Joined: 15.09.2014Posts: 4Ratings: 0
    Options

To be clear, it's ok to talk about Whiskyshops?

Is it ok to sell/swap bottles at a private basis?

Whats about casksharing?

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Options
    "XLarge" wrote:
    To be clear, it's ok to talk about Whiskyshops?

Is it ok to sell/swap bottles at a private basis?

Whats about casksharing?

If we find you constantly linking one shop, then we will warn you and then take action, but if you just mention a shop now and then, than you will have no trouble.

Swaping and selling on a private basis is only for the designated sub forum. But in there fell free to sell your bottles.

Cask sharing should be fine? If we do have more cask sharings, I will open a new sub forum and move the posts.

I work for whisky.com
  • Cedar50 Member Joined: 19.11.2014Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

I purchased a 1/2 pint bottle of "Black & White", Buchanan's Blended Scotch Whisky at an antique shop several years ago and would like to known if anyone could date the bottle for me. The thing that got my attention was the cap. It has a lead seal with twisted wire securing the cap, similar to a champagne bottle. The front label says "By appointment to her majesty the queen; scotch whisky distillers; James Buchanan & Co. Ltd.; "BLACK & WHITE" BUCHANAN'S BLENDED SCOTCH WHISKY; it has James Buchanan's signature; Distillers Glasgow & London.; Glentauchers Distillery, Mulben, Speyside; Product of Scotland; 1/2 PINT; 100% SCOTCH WHISKIES; 86.8 PROOF. Under the large label is a smaller label that says "DISTILLED AND BOTTLED IN SCOTLAND UNDER BRITISH GOVERNMENT SUPERVISION. I was unable to attach a picture due to the 1MB restriction. If there is anyway to attach pictures,please let me know.

• ben_2
    Topic creator
    Options
    "Cedar50" wrote:
    I was unable to attach a picture due to the 1MB restriction. If there is anyway to attach pictures,please let me know.

The picture would be come in very handy. How about you add a bottle to our whisky database and then we discuss it here.
    http://www.whisky.com/whisky-database/bottle-search/new-step-1.html

I work for whisky.com
  • lacplesis Member lacplesis Joined: 06.09.2017Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@ben I am a writer of detective stories set in HM Customs & Excise. I've written a story about illicit whisky distilling close to Oban. The story includes a visit to the Oban distillery. I'd very much like to use whisky.com's photo of the Oban whisky still on the cover of the book. I assume you are the people who hold the copyright. I can use a shutterstock image, but they don't have one of the Oban still and if at all possible I'd like it to be accurate. I can, of course, make clear who owns the copyright to the photo in the book. If this isn't the right place for this, I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction please. Many thanks

hwchoy liked that
  • Markscotchcrazed Member Joined: 05.02.2017Posts: 33Ratings: 0
    Options

@lacplesis 

Sounds like an interesting read. Is this a fictional tale or documentary? I may want to check it out when it's done. In regards to your question, I believe you should start by messaging Horst Leuning directly. All the best!

• lacplesis Member lacplesis Joined: 06.09.2017Posts: 2Ratings: 0
    Options

@Markscotchcrazed fictional. the latest in a series I've been writing & self-publishing of detective stories set in HM Customs & excise from 1964-the mid 1990s

• johnmsmith Member Joined: 23.09.2019Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    Options

@ben I have been attempting to find out more info about end of live whiskey cask so hope you do not mind me asking them .

"I am currently reviewing the after use of end of life whiskey barrels and have found that it is quite a disparate industry.

I would therefore be grateful for any information that can help answer the following questions

1 How many whiskey barrels are replaced annually and is there any over view of what the barrel staves are used for.
    I am aware that they can be used for a range of craft hobbies and art products such as picture frames, but I also believe they can go into building timber sheeting manufacture or to be used as flavoured fire-wood.

2 If barrels were to be remade into another product has there been any tests done e.g. health and safety tests or accreditation given to show whether the use of whiskey barrels could introduce a fire risk element from the product.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

John