Seeking Single Malt Suggestions

• Mythos
    Topic creator

Hello Malt Friends!  I was hoping I could get some good single malt selections based on my tastes.  My two particular favorites are Auchentoshan Three Wood, and Glenfarclas 12 (interestingly enough, I find that a drop of water and the Glenfarclas actually takes a very wrong turn).  I kind of like Glenlivet 15 and Glenmorangie 12, but both have something about them that keep me from being too crazy about them.  Glenmorangie The Original actually comes across as a bit bland to me.  Not that I don't like smooth, but....

In the category of smokey/peaty selections, I've tried both Lagavulin 8 and Laphroiag Quarter Cask, both of which I think I'd like if not for that in both cases I pick up this bandaid-like note that just ruins it for me.

I've considered Highland Park 12 and Bowmore 12, but not tried them yet.

Budget prevents me from going all that high really.

If it helps any to give you more of an idea of my tastes, in the area of bourbon I particularly like Blanton's and Evan Williams Black.  I like Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select.  For cognac, hands-down it's Remy Martin Royal Accord (1738) for me.  And for rum, El Dorado 15 is by far my favorite, though I do enjoy Smith & Cross.

I know this is a lot of information, but I'm hoping that some of the more experienced single malt drinkers on here might read something from here and go, "Ah, he should try ______!"

Thanks for any suggestions! :smile:

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited August 24 2017 at 3:49AM
    Options

@Mythos 

My number one choice for you would be Balvenie 14 year Caribbean Cask, which is finished in rum casks.  Not only would a rum fan such as yourself like it, but I have a friend who loves Blanton's and the Caribbean Cask is one is his favorite scotches. 

Here are some other recommendations for you that you might like, yet also won't break the bank: 

Arran 14 yr (smooth yet complex) 

Benromach 10 (lightly smokey...no band-aids)

Talisker 10 (medium smoke...no band-aids) 

Aberlour 12 year: 

I'd also recommend anything from Springbank, but they can be on the pricey side.

Enjoy!

hwchoy liked that
  • Mythos
    Topic creator
    Options

@kroman Wonderful, thank you!  And I love Horst's Whisky.com reviews, I usually see what he and Ralfy have to say, then check out some tasting notes from Google searches. :wink:

• Mythos
    Topic creator
    Options

Funny thing, by the way, is that I was never a big rum fan until I discovered those two without that cloying sweetness to 'em.  Those two that I mentioned were what finally won me over. 

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Mythos 

Talisker 10yo could be a good whisky to try if you want some smoke without the lagavulin/Laphroaig medicinal taste. The same goes from benromach 10yo.

If you like the Glenfarclas 12yo, then maybe you would like Glendronach 12yo. With a bit more sherry hit.

• Mythos
    Topic creator
    Options

Thanks, my friends, I've been checking out each and every one of these on Whisky.com, Ralfy and just looking up tasting notes - looks like lots of yummy suggestions you folks are coming up with! :smile: