New to Scotch, Looking for a Recommendation

• fortyfourcaliber
    Topic creator

Hello everyone,

I'm new to scotch and I'm just looking for recommendations for new bottles so I don't waste money.

I've had the following bottles (in order of favorites):

Dalmore 12

Balvenie 12

Macallan 12

Highland Park 12

Old Pulteney 12

Aberfeldy 12

Glenmoranjie 12

Glenlivet 15

Glenlivet 12

I absolutely love the aroma and taste of the Dalmore 12, and would like to find others that taste similar. I've heard that the Glenfarclas or Glendronach are decent contenders, and am looking to buy them in the future. My birthday is in about a month, and I'm looking to buy the Talisker 10. I've only had scotches with mild peat, which I do enjoy, so I hope I like the Talisker as much as I'm expecting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers (from an American)

Tagged:
  • Vasco Guest, Member Vasco Joined: 14.05.2017Posts: 86CollectionVasco's Closed Bottles CollectionRatings: 4
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

IMHO, if you prefer mild peat, Talisker 10 is a good choice, however some Talisker NAS, like Storm, would also worth to try.

Laphroaig Select Cask is a inexpensive NAS and less peaty than Laphroaig 10.

I also love Dalmore 12, specially the 90's bottling.

You can try also a Monkey Shoulder, a blended/vatted malt, with malts from 3 distilleries: Balvenie, Glenfiddich, and Kininvie. Very pleasant dram to sip, and also inexpensive.

For a "Dalmore 12 with peat" (please forgive me this shortcut), I would recommend something like Laphroaig PX Cask.

Sláinte!

hwchoy liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

Talisker 10 is a good try, you can also find it in smaller bottles if you just want to try it.

Both Glenfarclas and Glendronach is good. However with the Glenfarclas I think that it needs to be 15years or older to become really good.

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@fortyfourcaliber 

You had a nice flight of bottles :-)

I would as well try a 12yo Glendronach and a 15yo Glenfarclas. And, of course, the absolute wonderful Dalmore 15yo. This has much more depth and strength than the 12yo.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com