I need your wise advice my friends ..

• Nicolás_Lechuga
    Topic creator
    Member Nicolás_Lechuga

Hi friends!. I am Nicolás de Argentina, a new follower and new user from this forum. This community sounds great and very informative. I love the way they explain and share their knowledge. I am very new to the world of whiskey. In fact, I still did not have the opportunity to try a single malt. Until now I had only tried brands such as Jack Daniels, Ballentines, Jameson, Old Smuggler, and the last one was Johnnie Walker's red label .. Until that moment I thought that the whiskey was not for me, since it seemed too strong, Too much alcohol in my nose and in my mouth (except Jameson, which had a slightly creamier effect than the others).

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to try Johnnie Walker golden reserve (I liked it and found it softer than all of the above), and Double Black Label, which I loved, and made me change my perspective on the Whiskey. Since that time I am looking for information about different styles, and I want to try the single malt whiskeys. I saw many of your videos, to know your thoughts and decide my purchase, since I live in Argentina and it is very difficult to try many of the whiskeys published by you. Obviously I do not know any particular style, but I would like to buy 2 opposing styles, to know the different characteristics and to be able to start raiding ... (Spyside vs Islay or Spyside vs. Highland maybe?)

I am thinking of placing an order via web, and I would like your personal advice, and also that of your followers who want to help me. All help is welcome If I had to choose for one and only one of each category, what would it be?

Category Spyside:

- Aberlour 18 years old

- Glenfiddich 18 years

-The Glenlivet 18 years

-The Macallan 12 years Old Sherry Oak

Smoky Category:

- Ardbeg Uigeadail

-Highland Park 12 years

-Lagavulin 16 years

-Laphroaig Quarter Cask

-Talisker Port Ruighe

Category Highland:

- Dalmore 15 years

- Glenmorangie 12 years Quinta Ruban

I have only 100 euros to spend...(two bottles?)

Thank you very much greetings from argentina, Im sorry for my englis... (google translator)

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited August 1 2017 at 4:16PM
    Options

@Nicolás_Lechuga 

Welcome to the forum!

this is a big question and you will get a lot of different answers, but that is part of the fun!

Personally, I do not think the differences in Highland vs Speyside whiskies are as big as some people say they are.  Edradour, Glenmorangie and Old Pultney are all highlands and are very different from each other.  The same can be said for Benromach, Balvenie and Aberlour (all speyside). So I wouldn't worry about regions.  I would look for different flavors. 

It sounds like you really want to try great, affordable scotches that are very different from each other. So for a new guy with only 100 euros to spend, I would go for two classic scotches: Balvenie 12 year Doublewood, and Lagavulin 16 year.  It might be a little more than 100 euros for these two bottles, but this would be a perfect start for you.  Both of these whiskies are amazing and I would be very excited if I went to your house and found these on your shelf!

The Balvenie is great for someone new to whisky.  It is a delicate, easy to drink whisky that still has complexity and depth for people who want "more" to their whisky.  Lots of fruit, honey, vanilla, and a touch of spice and milk chocolate at the end. Plus, it is affordable and easy to find.

The Lagavulin is VERY different.  It is intense and smoky. It smells like meat and leather.  The taste starts off sweet, then it slowly builds into spices, wood and some dark fruits.  The aftertaste is dry and long.  I normally would not recommend it to people new to whisky, but if you love the Johnnie Walker Double Black, you'll want to marry the Lagavulin!  While more expensive, it is also easy to find.

There are going to be a lot of people who give you a huge list of whiskies that you can try (and most of them are scotches that taste great).  Are there more exciting, hard to find whiskies out there?  Absolutely.  These two whiskies aren't anything new.  But I think this would be a great start for you. 

so there you go.  Two very different whiskies for a newcomer who wants to know what affordable, good scotch is all about! 

enjoy!

• Nicolás_Lechuga
    Topic creator
    Member Nicolás_Lechuga
    Options

@kroman You are very kind. Thank you very much for taking your time for such a comprehensive and informative response. Undoubtedly I wanted to try that Balvenie 12 DoubleWood. As for the Lagavulin 16 I was very afraid of what I asked to find, by the same as you say. I'm a newbie. But your comment about JW Double Black made me try about my possible marriage to Lagavulin 16, jajajja

I'm very grateful for your help, it's really going to be very useful for someone with as little knowledge as I do.

Thank you very much!! I will keep it with news for when my order arrives.

• A.Shafner Guest, Member A.Shafner Joined: 28.12.2016Posts: 10CollectionWhisky ShelvesRatings: 138
    Options

@Nicolás_Lechuga hey welcome! I would trie Laphroaig Quater Cask vs Glenlivet 18. Two very different styles of whisky. My first Islay whisky was Laphroaig and I loved it from the first dram. Good luck with your choice.    

CHEERS!!!!

Nicolás_Lechuga liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman Gives good advice.

Just a few comments from me. Some producers also have smaller bottles. I have seen a 20cl Lagavulin bottle. So instead of buying a large Lagavulin bottle a smaller one could be good.

Nicolás_Lechuga liked that
  • Nicolás_Lechuga
    Topic creator
    Member Nicolás_Lechuga
    Options

@ Bedlamborn  @ A.Shafner  @ Kroman  

Muchas gracias por tu consejo. Estoy muy agradecido por su amable cooperación. Estoy agradecido de unirme a este foro y poder aprender de usted. Saludos desde Buenos Aires y gracias! 

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Nicolás_Lechuga 

since you are new with a sensible budget, I would suggest you try some younger expressions.   I would pick Aberlour 15 years, Highland Park 12 years, and the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 years.  If you still have some spare budget, I would recommend The Glenrothes Vintage Reserve as well.  All are easy and relaxing to drink without breaking your bank, a good way to start your journey.

slainte!

• Nicolás_Lechuga
    Topic creator
    Member Nicolás_Lechuga
    Options

hwchoy said:

@Nicolás_Lechuga 

since you are new with a sensible budget, I would suggest you try some younger expressions.   I would pick Aberlour 15 years, Highland Park 12 years, and the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 years.  If you still have some spare budget, I would recommend The Glenrothes Vintage Reserve as well.  All are easy and relaxing to drink without breaking your bank, a good way to start your journey.

slainte!

Thankyou very much! :horst: