New Johnnie Walker expression

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

I just saw the label approval submission for a new JW blend called "Blender's Batch Triple Grain American Oak." It appears to be riding the coattails of the bourbon craze based on the name and what it states on the labels. Front label: "Three Grain whiskies using wheat, barley and corn - blended with select Malts. Sweet and creamy with fresh fruits and gentle, spicy smoke. Aged 10 years in American Oak casks." Back label: "Enjoy this irresistibly mellow Scotch whisky - a blend of 3 Grain whiskies from storied distilleries including the now closed Port Dundas and select iconic Malts including Mortlach and Cardhu."

I find it very interesting that the grain whisky portion of the blend is being given more prominence than the malts. What we really have is just a blend aged in American oak, which is nothing to get too excited about. It does have an age statement, though, so I commend Diageo for that.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Carlton  I read about this a little while ago and it actually the third expression (of three) from a limited edition series called "Blenders Batch"; the other two being Johnnie Walker "Red Rye Finish" and "Bourbon Cask and Rye Finish".   https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/10980/johnnie-walker-red-rye-kicks-off-new-series/

But I agree...outside of something for collectors (or for bartenders to make even more expensive drinks for the naive), I don't see anything too special here.  If you read the article, the red rye expression apparently only uses one of the distilleries to impart the rye characteristics into their liquid.  And even that distillery only finished their whisky in rye casks.  

Unless you're a collector, I'd say move along on this series.  You'd be better off saving your money for the JW XR 21 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I had the Red Rye Finish lately for a tasting on my cask. And I found it a lot better than the Red and worth a try.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Noodles_2 liked that
  • Noodles_2 Member Noodles_2 Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

@horst_s Their marketing department will have to do better than that to get me to put anything "Red" from Johnny Walker on my tongue again!

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Noodles

Don't let your experience with Red Label scare you away from Johnnie Walker. They make some excellent blends. (Just steer clear of the Red Label unless you are buying it for mixing.)

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    [Deleted User] liked that
  • Noodles_2 Member Noodles_2 Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

@Carlton I am not scared of Johnny Walker, Carlton. I like JW Black just fine. I'm saying... if they are calling something "Johnny Walker Red - Rye Finish" - that sounds way too much like their terrible "Red" blend to me!

• alcohaul Member alcohaul Joined: 07.04.2017Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

<br>

JW comprised of both single malt(s) and single grain(s) often from many different distilleries; if scotch or irish must be aged for at least three years in oak barrels; irish may include single pot still whiskey in the blend.

<br>