Whisky shops and pubs in Edinburgh

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21

I am going to visit Edinburg in July and I were wondering if anyone can recommend any good shops or whisky pubs in Edinburgh. Royal Mile Whiskies I know about so are there any other good shops there? Pubs I know also a little about but are there any must go to Pubs for a whisky lover?

I am also going to the Outer Hebrides for six days but almost no distilleries out there in the wilderness.

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    , edited June 24 2017 at 11:31AM
    Options

@bedlamborn

Find my profile on whiskybase (for example by searching for 'Dalwhinnie' -> 1 Distillery -> Dalwhinnie -> Shop & Tour -> Slàinte Mhath) to find all my reviews under 'check ins'.

To sum-up:

Best shops: Cadenhead's & Royal Mile Whiskies

Best bar: The Bow Bar

avoid: Abbortsford Bar & Restaurant

I highly recommend buying the 20-year-old GlenDronach PX Cask exclusively bottled for Royal Mile Whiskies (costs about £125).

Have a great trip!

Slàinte

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Thanks! Cadenhead will definately be on my list of shops to visit.

• SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@bedlamborn

You might like to try the SMWS HQs with their bars in either Queen Street or better yet in  Leith - membership used to be required, but as far as I know this has changed recently. Well worth further inquiries... :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
    bedlamborn liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@bedlamborn

Check out if they still have that 7-year-old Lagavulin at cask strength. An amazing dram with a very affordable price tag.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

Is it better than the Lagavulin 8 years old which I found to be too young for my taste, lacking the maturiy and complexity of the 16yo.

@SanctTom

I think that membership were still required. Will have to check again.

Options

Is it better than the Lagavulin 8 years old which I found to be too young for my taste, lacking the maturiy and complexity of the 16yo.

I just had a wee tasting at Cadenhead's and haven't opened my 20 cl bottle of Lagavulin 7yr yet. However, you can't go wrong at £21 a bottle!