Ardbeg Kelpie

• Shmotch
    Topic creator

I missed an opportunity to obtain a bottle of the first release of Kelpie, however Ardbeg just released a "limited" version, at 46ABV.  It's not cheap at ~$120 USD, but I splurged and bought a bottle yesterday.  Deliciously briny and peaty on the nose.  Salted meats.  The taste is very well composed, a slight oil on the mouthfeel, nice...the salted meats/fish in the nose yields more to cigar/beach fire.  nice finish.  It is pricey to be sure, but a very nice bottle, even if it is NAS.  Also, I have not tried the first run Committee bottling, so I cannot compare.

hwchoy liked that
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

@Shmotch

Is it better than Ardbeg Uigeadail? Most fancy Ardbeg releases are terribly overpriced and don't offer you more than Uigeadail or Corryvreckan.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@SlàinteMhath

true, there is a steep curve of diminishing return for a lot of these special or limited bottlings.

• Shmotch
    Topic creator
    Options

To the posts above--I prefer the Kelpie over the Perpetuum for a comparison of recent limited bottlings and it is more akin to the Alligator than the Corryvreckan and I don't find it too comparable to the Uigeadail, no Sherry cask finish presence in the Kelpie, instead the Kelpie definitely hits more of the sea notes and briny smoked fish then the raw peat of Corryvreckan...the price is steep and I do question the price point but Kelpie is definitely worth getting a fat dram of to enjoy at some point 

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

@Shmotch

I will taste the Kelpie shortly here in the Vlog. It compares better with the Corryvreckan due to the more oaky notes than with the Uigeadail.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com