Port finished Single Malt

• Johann_Tanzer
    Topic creator
    Member Johann_Tanzer

I love the Balvenie 21, but need recommendations on a more affordable Port finished Single Malt Scotch.

Please, no peated whiskies. Thanks.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer

the easiest one to find that is also reasonably priced is the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.  Non-peated, non-chill filtered, and a respectable 46% ABV.  At around $60, it's a pretty good deal.

Some other good ones that might be harder to find:

Benriach 15 yr Port Finish

Arran Port finish

Tomintoul 15 yr Port Finish (Horst really liked that one)

But bottom line:  Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is what you're looking for.

hwchoy liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer

If you are also interested in Irish single malts, I would highly recommend Bushmills 16 Year Old. It is a 50/50 mix of bourbon- and sherry-matured whiskies that are married/finished in port casks for 6-9 months.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer

you are referring to the Balvenie PortWood 21 years.  there are other Balvenie 21 years finished in other casks such as the Balvenie Madeira Cask Finished 21 years.

• hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@kroman

I would second the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. Just about to mention Laphroaig Brodir but then I saw the "no heated whiskies" part :biggrin:

• Thomsen Member Joined: 06.06.2017Posts: 1Ratings: 0
    , edited June 6 2017 at 9:41PM
    Options

@hwchoy

I have been looking at the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. I know that in late 2010 they got age statements, but before that there were none. I have found two Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban that both have age statements. Does that mean anything?

They have differerent IDs on whisky.com:

ID: 9848

ID: 1140

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Thomsen

ID # 9848 is the newest labeling, so that's probably what you will see on your store shelves.  They are essentially the same, although I am not sure if the older one was non-chill filtered...

Options

@Thomsen

the whole range of Lasantha, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar d'Or now comes with a 12 years age statement.  However you might note there are two versions of Lasantha at 40 and 43% abv if I recall correctly.  you can look up Horst's review as he spoke about the two bottlings.

However for Quinta Ruban there should be only one version.

• DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

My choice are Quinta Ruban and Arran Port. Quite affordable.

• Johann_Tanzer
    Topic creator
    Member Johann_Tanzer
    , edited June 8 2017 at 12:25AM
    Options

Thank you all for the responses.

Yes "hwchoy", I was referring to the Balvenie 21 PortWood.

The only readily available port finished whisky seems to be the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

I will try it.

hwchoy liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Johann_Tanzer

Some port finished whiskies are for example Edradour Port Finished, they also have Port matured.

The there are also the Tomatin 14 yo Port Wood finish.