Burying whiskey

• rachelbec
    Topic creator
    Member rachelbec

My friend and I share a dislike for a certain politician and we had this idea to bury a bottle of whiskey and dig it up when this unnamed politician dies and toast to his coffin. Will the whiskey last that long, say years upon years? Also is this bad karma?

Tagged:
  • Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

rachelbec said:

My friend and I share a dislike for a certain politician and we had this idea to bury a bottle of whiskey and dig it up when this unnamed politician dies and toast to his coffin. Will the whiskey last that long, say years upon years? Also is this bad karma?

The whiskey will probably be fine, given you bury it well-isolated from dirt and moisture. I'd be more concerned about your karma, as you pointed out.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

bedlamborn liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

rachelbec said:

If that certain politician is who I think it might be, then karma would surely smile on you, and I am hopeful that you won't have to wait "years upon years" for your toast. No need to bury it though - just give it pride of place as a conversation piece, and have a party when you finally get to crack it open. :smile:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

rachelbec said:

Will the whiskey last that long, say years upon years? Also is this bad karma?

Better for your health to bury the whisky than to drown it ;-) Alcohol shall only be consumed in a positive mood. Otherwise you may get used to alcohol as a pain reducer ... no good idea.

The oldest whisky bottles lately found came from Antarctica, where the rested for app. 100 years. There was no bad influence to taste.

BUT! There was a very old Bowmore bought back by the distillery and that one suffered a lot by a rotten cork. The corks in Antarctica were preserved by very cold temperatures. If you dig a hole for the bottle then you should bury it top up, because if the whisky stays at the cork with a lying bottle too long, the cork will disintegrate and may start to leak.

I would suggest you dig a hole 1 foot deep like for a pole. Then put the bottle in a plastic bag and seal it carefully. Then bury it top up and fill the hole. It should be fine, if you do not live in a too hot climate. If so, dig the hole 3 feet deep.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    Suzanne1967 liked that