Bourbon Barrels used for scotch maturation.....

• MaltNut
    Topic creator
    Joined: 22.05.2017Posts: 1CollectionMaltNuts CollectionRatings: 0

Does anyone know if there are any favorite or "preferred" ex-bourbon barrels used for finishing by distilleries in Scotland???

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

MaltNut said:

Does anyone know if there are any favorite or "preferred" ex-bourbon barrels used for finishing by distilleries in Scotland???

Ex-bourbon barrels are rarely used for a 'finish' - that more applies for Oloroso or PX sherry casks. Are you referring to the actual source of the barrels, such as Buffalo Trace?

Most ex-bourbon casks are flatpacked and shipped to Scotland where they are reassembled in places like the Speyside Cooperage. Barrel volume normally changes from about 180-200 l (bourbon) to 250 l hogsheads.

Here you get an impression from the Speyside Cooperage:

Slàinte!

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@MaltNut

Bourbon barres used for finishing are so rare. More common is the virgin oak finishing,

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    , edited May 29 2017 at 3:47AM
    Options

@MaltNut

I don't think Scottish distilleries make much fuss about the source of their bourbon barrels. It usually depends on the contractual relationships they have in place. Most are happy just to have a steady supply of fresh bourbon barrels, regardless of source. Some Kentucky distilleries do air dry their barrel staves for longer periods than others, but I can't believe that makes much difference for Scotch maturation after the cask has been used to mature bourbon.

You will usually only see finishing in first-fill ex-bourbon barrels as an attempt to mask immature spirit or compensate for primary maturation in tired casks.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    bedlamborn liked that