opening and drinking older/expensive whiskies

• kroman
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21

So I have two older/more expensive whiskies (at least for my budget) that remain unopened: Balvenie 21 year portwood and Johnnie Walker XR21.

When do you open your older whiskies?  What's the longest amount of time you've had the same bottle for?  Do you have your first glass right away, and then go back to it after a year or so?  

It's just that every time I open my cabinet, those two bottle keep looking at me, asking to be played with!

• Slàinte_Mhath Guest, Member Slàinte_Mhath Joined: 09.10.2016Posts: 134CollectionOslo Whisky ClubRatings: 211
    Options

kroman said:

What's the longest amount of time you've had the same bottle for?  Do you have your first glass right away, and then go back to it after a year or so?

Old bottles are rarely harmed by oxygen - they had plenty of time to fully oxidize in the barrel during decades of maturation. I would not be afraid to have these bottles sitting on the shelf for 2-3 years once you popped the cork - if your self-discipline allows.

That's what I do. I drink, and I know things.” (Tyrion Lannister)

>>> Whisky reviews by Slàinte Mhath <<<

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman

Never had so many older bottles to open. The only old bottle that I have opened is a Clynelish 34 years of age. I had it for six years and after six years it was still amazing.

kroman liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I had a 40yrs old Strathisla G&M open for roughly five years and consumed quite constantly over the time. After 4.5 yrs the whisky started to change taste. So I finished the last quarter of the bottle with my friends.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that