Favorite Single Pot Still Whiskey

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160

What is your favorite Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey? All I have had are excellent, but, if forced to choose, I would pick the Redbreast 15 Year Old.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • SanctTom Member SanctTom Joined: 19.07.2014Posts: 176Ratings: 0
    Options

@Carlton

Redbreast would be my choice, too - choosing between the 15 Year old and the 21 Year Old would be the hard part... :wink:

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom

I've not had the Redbreast 21 Year Old, just the 12, 12 CS, and the 15. I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Lustau, but it hasn't made it to my area yet. Have you tried it?

• Chappers Member Chappers Joined: 27.11.2016Posts: 21CollectionChappers' CollectionRatings: 5
    Options

I liked the Redbreast 12 and the Powers Signature.

Options

@ Carlton

I tried the Lustau just last week and was slightly disappointed.
    Although Oloroso tends to work well with Pot Still whiskeys, in this case I found it to dominate the whiskey too much - just not enough Redbreast character coming through.
    Might be different for you, though!

And malt does more than Milton can To justify God's ways to man. (A. E. Housman)
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

@SanctTom

Interesting. I will try to get a taste before I take the plunge on a buying a whole bottle (assuming I can actually find it at some point).

• horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I think that the 15yo Redbreast is also one of my favourite. Midleton Barry Crockett was excellent as well but a little pricey.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
  • Jesper_Kleis_Smith_Nielsen Member Jesper_Kleis_Smith_Nielsen Joined: 28.04.2017Posts: 4Ratings: 0
  • [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

I finished a bottle of Yellow Spot not long ago, and I think I would have to rate it right up there with Redbreast 15. I can't wait until some of the newer Irish distilleries bottle some of their pot still whiskey.

Options

Another suggestion would be Powers Johne Lane 12 yrs. - very nice and also very reasonably priced!

• [Deleted User]
    Topic creator
    Options

SanctTom said:

Another suggestion would be Powers Johne Lane 12 yrs. - very nice and also very reasonably priced!

Agreed. If I had to choose only one type of whiskey to drink, it might very well be Irish single pot still.