Finally tried Blanton's Kentucky Single Barrel Bourbon...

• Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

@bedlamborn <25% more here in the NYC metropolitan area

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@bedlamborn
    @noodles

The Blanton’s Gold is bottled at a higher proof than the Original Single Barrel, but that is the only difference.

I do really like Maker’s 46, but I wouldn’t say that I like it more than the standard Maker’s. It is definitely different in that you can really taste the effect of the European oak. The 46 would be worth a 50% premium over standard Maker’s only if you really want to try something different. It is only about $5 more a bottle here in Tennessee.

The Rebel Yell products are sourced whiskey (mainly from Heaven Hill) and most are quite young. Their bourbon is Heaven Hill’s wheated mash bill. They are lower-middle shelf whiskeys here in the US – okay, but nothing special. It is strange that they are priced about the same as Blanton’s Gold in Sweden. Rebel Yell did come out with a high-end 10 year old single barrel bourbon recently, but I don’t know if it is being exported. I bought a bottle; haven’t tried it yet, but it smells wonderful.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Noodles

Seems like they put a lot of extra money on the 46 here in Sweden. To bad.

@Carlton

Thanks for the info about Rebel Yell, their 10 yo seems interesting. The only Bourbon which is not so expensive in Sweden are Bulleit, Makers and Woodford Reserve. Discounting all the cheap shitty stuff.

• Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Options

@Carlton Good to learn about 46. Don't think I'll place it too high on my to-do list.

So what's your top Tennessee Whisky? I want to hear a suggestion from a native! Lol.

• Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    Options

I had a dram last night... Blanton's just doesn't have that strong vanilla nose that my preferred bourbon's have. I like its very spicy aftertaste, but I'm left wanting for more sweetness.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

Noodles said:

@Carlton Good to learn about 46. Don't think I'll place it too high on my to-do list.

So what's your top Tennessee Whisky? I want to hear a suggestion from a native! Lol.

My favorite Tennessee Whiskey would be a toss-up from the following: Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select (or the higher proof version, Barrel Proof Single Barrel), George Dickel Barrel Select, or George Dickel Hand Selected Barrel 9 Years Old. These would be on my list of favorite whiskeys, and I always have one of them in my rotation.

If your tasting group wants to try a very good Tennessee Whiskey at a great price, I would recommend George Dickel No.12. It isn't far behind the whiskeys I listed above, and it only costs $20-$25 a bottle around here. It might be the best buy in American whiskey.

Noodles_2 liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 04.12.2016Posts: 0CollectionJohn's CollectionRatings: 0
    , edited April 28 2017 at 7:50AM
    Options

@Carlton

I've never tried any of the premium Tennessee whiskeys you're recommending. I usually disparage the Lincoln County Process due to my distaste for Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 (Black Label). Are the selections you've listed a vast improvement over their (Daniel's & Dickel's) standard fare?

SCOTT: I found this on Ganymood, er, Ganymede.
    TOMAR: What is it?
    SCOTT: Well, it's, er. (peers at it, sniffs it) It's green.
  • Noodles_2
    Topic creator
    Member Noodles_2
    , edited April 28 2017 at 7:51AM
    Options

@Carlton Picked up Dickel No. 12 for $25 tonight. Smells reminiscent of Blanton's... but so much more smooth to the taste, with a very enjoyable, but very strong spicy aftertaste that lingers on the tongue and cheeks. Great bang for your buck. Really enjoyed this one. Thanks again.

I do find it strange however, that, here, the price difference between no. 12 and no. 8 is only $3, and neither has an age statement... and the no. 12 reads "aged for YEARS LONGER" (in caps, like that) "than our no. 8"... Ha. Okay. Kind of silly!

Options

@to_e_or_not_to_e

The single barrel Jack Daniel's expressions are a big improvement over Old Number 7 (black label JD), but there is still a very strong family resemblance. If the taste of the standard JD is a complete turnoff, then you might not like the higher-end expressions. The same applies to George Dickel, although one of their standard expressions, No. 12, is very good.

@Noodles

I am always amazed that the Dickel No. 12 is only a few bucks more than No. 8. The No.8 is 5-7 years old, while No.12 runs 8-10 years old. Dickel is a very small fish in the big Diageo pond, and they haven't done much to promote the brand. That is a good thing for us, because we can get some very good whiskey at a great price! :biggrin:

Noodles_2 liked that
  • alcohaul Member alcohaul Joined: 07.04.2017Posts: 12Ratings: 0
    Options

@Carlton I also have the same thought like you. Some of my friends prefer it but I don't like it. It is expensive compared to others.

You know what now I purchase bourbons from alcohaul delivery.  wide variety.