Beautiful problems

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    , edited April 27 2017 at 6:18PM

Sometimes one can have a problem but it can be a beautiful problem. After my visit in Scotland last year I opened several bottles of whisky and now several of them are almost finished so I am going to open some new bottles.

First up is Talisker Sky and Talisker 10 yo which is almost finished.

For this I am going to open up another bottle of Talisker and probably a bottle of Benromach. For the Talisker I have the choice of Distillers Edition, 18 yo and Dark Storm. Distillers edition is so many peoples favourite while it would be interesting to try an older Talisker like the 18yo. Dark Storm people either tend to hate it or love it.

For the Benromach I can open the 10yo 100proof, 15yo or the organic. All of them seems very good and it is a hard choice.

Then my bottle of smoky Islay I need to replace as the Bunnahabhain Moine I opened I didn't like and a friend of mine will get it as a gift instead.
    Here I can choose between Lagavulin Distillers Edition or Laphroaig PX or Laphroaig Triple Wood. I have just tasted the normal Lagavulins and Laphroaigs earlier.

Finally I need to replace my Sherry whisky, Glendronach 12 yo. Here I am thinking of moving to some older sherry whiskies. Eiher Glendronach 18yo, Glenfarclas 21 yo or Glengoyne 21 yo.

Any opinions or advice?

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn

Here in America we call them first-world problems :lol:.  Anyways...

I'd go with the Talisker D.E and Benromach 10, as they are both similar in age.  It might be fun to drink them side-by-side.  Both are fantastic drams.  Personally, I think the Organic is all marketing hype; I didn't like that one nearly as much as the 10 yr.

And if you're doing the Talisker DE, you might as well stick with the theme and go with the Lagavulin, which is also FANTASTIC.

If you just finished the 12 yr Glendronach, I'd go with the 18 next.

Also, I would wait a couple of months before getting rid of the Bunnahabhain.  Maybe you'll like it more once it "settles in".

Noodles_2 liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

I am thinking of the Talisker 18yo and the Benromach 10yo. One older and one younger.

For the Bunnahabhain, I opened it five months ago and it leaves me with an after taste of ash in my mouth which I don't like. remind me of when I was young and made up a fire and licked my fingers and it is the same ash taste. Like the medicinal smoke much more such in Laphroiag or Lagavulin.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@bedlamborn

Let me know how you like the 18yr, please.  The store I go to has one, and I've been curious to see if it's worth the money...

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

Looking at my whisky collection I should definitely open the Talisker 18 yo as I have two bottles of it. Bought one nine years ago and one last year in Scotland. There is one or two drams left in the 10yo so in one of two weeks I wil open the 18 yo.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@bedlamborn

Beautiful problems indeed! Can't see how you could go wrong with any of the whiskies in that lineup.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

I am thinking in two weeks time to pour the last drams from the Talisker 10yo and Skye and also pour a dram from the 18yo. And then compare them, to see the difference.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@kroman

I am thinking in two weeks time to pour the last drams from the Talisker 10yo and Skye and also pour a dram from the 18yo. And then compare them, to see the difference.

I think one can learn a lot from that sort of tasting.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
  • Noodles_2 Member Noodles_2 Joined: 23.03.2017Posts: 41CollectionThe Noodles CollectionRatings: 27
    Options

Unfortunately, the Talisker line is mostly out of my price range.
    Talisker 10 is only for special nights. Can't enjoy too much of it at $65+.
    But oh how I'd love to try their $320 25-year-old, as well as the $100 D.E., Storm, and Skye.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@Noodles

Strange pricing in different countries. The Skye and Storm has the same price as the 10yo in Sweden