Whisky and Water

• pitt_luke
    Topic creator

As most of you know some malt lovers add a bit of water to their malt to release aromas,flavours....But how much???
    For the sake of argument lets say 50ml of single malt,some would add a few drops others a splash.
    How much is a few drops,how much is a splash?
    (in ml please)and how much do you use?

I Love Whisky.

• TheGreatMothra Member TheGreatMothra Joined: 30.03.2016Posts: 27CollectionRatings: 160
    Options

I usually won't add water unless the strength is over 46% and even then sparingly - no more than a teaspoon. If its bottled at 50% or higher I'll possibly add more, depends on the whisky, some can take it others can't. For a standard 30ml I'll go up to maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons for some cask strength whiskys.

pitt_luke liked that
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@TheGreatMothra

I usually won't add water unless the strength is over 46% and even then sparingly - no more than a teaspoon. If its bottled at 50% or higher I'll possibly add more, depends on the whisky, some can take it others can't. For a standard 30ml I'll go up to maybe 2 or 3 teaspoons for some cask strength whiskys.

Yes, same here. For a 30ml dram of Glenfarclas 105 at 60% I put 3 teaspoons of water. 

I taste neat if whisky is below 50%, but for newer tasted whisky I like to add 2 or 3 drops of water just to see if other flavours appear. 

There are whiskys that admit more dilution than others. I like to wrote down my tasting notes also with how many water admits a whisky. 

pitt_luke liked that
  • Markscotchcrazed Member Joined: 05.02.2017Posts: 33Ratings: 0
    Options

@pitt_luke

For plain whisky at 40 to 45%:

I use a plastic straw (classy I know) to put between 2 to 5ml. I also let it sit for about 20 minutes to open up the whisky. For higher than 45% ABV I double up the water. heavily peated or "Cherry Bomb" malts under 50% I drink neat but I also give them some time. 

pitt_luke liked that
  • pitt_luke
    Topic creator
  • pitt_luke
    Topic creator
    Options

@DaFin

ok nice 

thank you very much 

I Love Whisky.

• pitt_luke
    Topic creator
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@pitt_luke

The following chart might help. A 50 ml dram at 40% abv contains 20 ml of alcohol, so the first two columns show the amount of whisky that contains 20 ml of alcohol at various abvs. Once you've poured the whisky, the last two columns show the total volume needed (whisky plus water) to reach a target abv. You will see some numbers repeated in the volume columns since we are rounding to whole milliliters. For practical purposes, I have ignored the fact that the total volume of whisky and water mixed will be very slightly less that the sum of the volumes of whisky and water before mixing.

As an example, if you had a 57% abv whisky that you wanted to dilute to 47% abv, you would pour 35 ml of whisky (first two columns). To get to 47% abv, the total volume (whisky plus water) needs to be 43ml (last two columns), so you would add 8 ml of water. This would give you the same amount of alcohol as 50 ml of a 40% abv whisky.

I realize this is more trouble than most folks want to put forth, but it is a good way to keep track of your alcohol consumption. If nothing else, it serves as a good illustration of how alcohol consumption can creep up on you when you drink high abv whiskies.

Pure Alcohol (ml): 20
    Whiskey abv     Whiskey Volume (ml)      Target abv     Total Volume (ml)
            68%                         29                             33%                     61
            67%                         30                             34%                     59
            66%                         30                             35%                     57
            65%                         31                             36%                     56
            64%                         31                             37%                     54
            63%                         32                             38%                     53
            62%                         32                             39%                     51
            61%                         33                             40%                     50
            60%                         33                             41%                     49
            59%                         34                             42%                     48
            58%                         34                             43%                     47
            57%                         35                             44%                     45
            56%                         36                             45%                     44
            55%                         36                             46%                     43
            54%                         37                             47%                     43
            53%                         38                             48%                     42
            52%                         38                             49%                     41
            51%                         39                             50%                     40
            50%                         40                             51%                     39
            49%                         41                             52%                     38
            48%                         42                             53%                     38
            47%                         43                             54%                     37
            46%                         43                             55%                     36
            45%                         44
            44%                         45
            43%                         47
            42%                         48
            41%                         49
            40%                         50

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    pitt_luke liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I'd just remark that 50ml is a rather oversized dram. 

pitt_luke liked that
  • pitt_luke
    Topic creator
    Options

@Carlton

thank you so much

so useful !

I Love Whisky.

• [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@hwchoy

That all depends on the size of your glass. :wink:

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    hwchoy liked that