Edradour, the best expression

2»
  • kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@horst_s

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can only find that one outside of Sweden. Sweden and the alcohol import laws :frown:

Well, unfortunately I can't find any Mackmyra in the States, so maybe we can trade!
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@kroman

I will visit Scotland this summer and there I can find Edradour. mackmyra is very much up and down. Good quality with bad quality whisky. I have their third bottle from the Preludium series. That was an inmature whisky but i bought it to support Mackmyra as they are situated in my hometown.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@DaFin

Now I have been tasting the 12yo two evenings in a row. Tastes are so personal but I don't find the soapy note. Sherry and intense. Almost feels like I am drinking a cask strength whisky.

kroman liked that
  • DaFin Member Joined: 23.05.2016Posts: 103CollectionDaFins CollectionRatings: 15
    Options

@bedlamborn

Then I will give Edradour 12 another chance. 

:smile: 

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@DaFin

Will see if your taste buds are the same as mine :biggrin:

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@DaFin

Now I have been tasting the 12yo two evenings in a row. Tastes are so personal but I don't find the soapy note. Sherry and intense. Almost feels like I am drinking a cask strength whisky.

I just bought the 12 year old today.  I know that it hasn't had much time to "open up", but so far I'm a little disappointed in it.  Yeah, it's intense and definitely has the figs and sherry, but I do notice the soapy note on the nose (not on the palate, though) and the finish is a little bitter.  If I could choose again, I would have purchased the 10 year Signatory Vintage expression instead.  We'll see how it develops, but right now, the 12 is the least favorite Edradour I've had.
  • bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

It took me several tries before I enjoyed the 12 yo Caledonian. BUt Horst siad that his favourite were the Signatory. But Edradour whisky is so differnt from person to person. must be the small stills that make it.

Options

@bedlamborn

@kroman

...must be the small stills that make it.

You're absolutely right!  Edradour is always going to be intense and flavorful; for better or worse.  As a result, I have found that all Edradour responds very well to water.  I haven't had the Caledonia with water yet, so maybe I'll try that next time.

• bedlamborn
    Topic creator
    Member bedlamborn
    Options

@kroman

You could also try to pour a dram an leave it in the glass for two hours just to see if the air changes how it tastes. Will do that once and compare to a recently poured dram.

Yesterday I has a Ballechin from Edradour which had a winefinishing. Didn't think that it would taste so good.

2»