Glendronach Original 12 No PX/Oloroso mentioned

• MAL_2
    Topic creator
    Joined: 16.04.2017Posts: 4CollectionWork in ProgressRatings: 0

Just wondering if anyone can help me out? I have seen Glendronach Original 12 bottles that specifically state PX and Oloroso casks being used. I have a 2009 bottle that says "finest sherry wood" and a bottle from 2013 and 2014 that state "finest sherry casks". nowhere on these bottles in PX or Oloroso mentioned. All three bottle were bought in Canada. Anyone know why some bottles mention PX/Oloroso and some don't?

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@MAL

I have a bottle that was filled on February 2016 and that states PX and Oloroso casks. Maybe they have changed that it is written for the newer bottles?

• MAL_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@bedlamborn I wondered that too. But I checked a few new bottles at the local liquor story with bottle dates 2016 and it still just mentions sherry casks not PX/Oloroso...? Where did you buy your bottle @bedlamborn?

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@MAL

I bought mine in Sweden. The alcohol monopoly.

MAL_2 liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

The distillery Glendronach was bought by the South African Intratrading group (beer). They bough Benriach and Glenglassaugh as well. They sold all three distilleries again in early 2016.

Before that time the number of different bottles published by Allied Domecq (Allied Distillers) were quite small. All bottles except the 12yo and the 33yo were discontinued.

Starting from the 12yo, which they kept the new owners built a new range (12, 15, 18, 21, 24). The 12yo is the only one, which was only increased from 40% to 43%. All others appeared with 46% or more.

The distillery lay silent for many years so that some of the years for a continuing bottling were not existent. You were able to buy a 15yo which contained 20yo malt. This generous bottling was not possible for the mass seller 12yo. It would have exhausted the warehouses too fast. So the started to use different casks - whatever was available - to continue the 12yo over the missing vintages. So the writing on the label changed as well. I also heard, that the quality was some times extraordinarily good. They never fell below the old 12yo. But quite often quality was much better.

In the meantime the warehouses show a steady filling over the years for the 12yo. The 15yo and older are still scarce. But time will help for these bottles as well.

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    MAL_2 liked that
  • MAL_2
    Topic creator
    Options

@horst_s Thanks for the info.