Looking at 2 choices for Birthday gift

• Shmotch
    Topic creator
    , edited April 17 2017 at 12:42PM

Laphroiag Lore $119 or Highland Park 18 $119

my wife asked me to narrow down some scotch choices...not into too many surprises obviously, but she did come back from Germany last week with a really nice Oban Little Bay from duty free, good call by her...either would be for me, Laphroiag is one of my favorite distilleries, but I've heard such good things about the HP 18...feedback is appreciated thanks

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

I would suggest the Lore, as it is unclear if this will be a constant bottling. The HP18 I believe is part of their core range.

bedlamborn liked that
  • bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@Shmotch

As previously said, I think Lore is more rare than the HP 18 if it is for a gift.

hwchoy liked that
  • [Deleted User] Joined: 26.08.2016Posts: 0CollectionEmpty Bottle ClubRatings: 160
    Options

@Shmotch

I would also go with the Lore.

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets. (Ron Swanson)
    hwchoy liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

I would vote for the HP18, because it carries an age statement. For me the Lore looks a little overpriced as a NAS whisky. In other parts of the world the Lore is cheaper than the HP18. 

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy Member hwchoy Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3
    Options

@horst_s

I wonder if the Laphroaig 1815 Edition just reviewed by Benedikt would have gotten a "wonderful" from the Master Taster ;-)   its quite expensive as well, priced similar to the old Laphroaig 18 at the Singapore duty free.

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

Although I haven't had the lore, the HP18 is a very good dram, so I would also go with Highland Park (if it's not too late).  If you want to collect, sure, go with the Lore.  But finding a HP18 for under 140 is a good deal in my neck of the woods!