recommendations for a special 21 year old

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Joined: 28.07.2015Posts: 462CollectionHeng Wah’s CollectionRatings: 3

when my current youngest daughter was born 2 years ago, I bought her a bottle of Laphroaig 21 years old "Friends of Laphroaig 21 year anniversary" (375ml bottle), and is intended for her to open on her 21st birthday. 

now I am expecting another younger child later this year. so I am looking for a special 21 year old dram released or to be released this year. recommendations please!

• kroman Member Joined: 16.04.2016Posts: 261Collectionkromans CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hwchoy

Sorry I don't know of any special 21 year releases this year. However...

Perhaps you could wait 21 years, and then buy the bottle.  This way both the baby and whisky "have been maturing together"!

Another option is keeping an eye out on independent bottlers, like signatory vintage.  Signatory often gives the exact date their whisky was distilled/bottled (https://www.signatoryusa.com/our-scotches/).  Maybe in the future you'll find something that was bottled on your child's birthday!

• hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

@kroman

the point is to get a 21 yo special release on her birth year, and storing it all through those years. if I were to get a 21 year old on her 21st birthday then there wouldn't be anything in particular other than spending a lot of money.

I also have a special 50th year anniversary bottle for the older girl (lucky her). she's born on the year when Singapore celebrates 50th year of independence, for which Dalmore release a special bottling (SG50 Pioneer Edition, 2015 bottles), she has a bottle signed by Richard Paterson which she will open on her 50th birthday when Singapore celebrates 100th year of Independence.  If I work hard at it now I might JUST make it to the year 2065 :biggrin:

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hwchoy

I would go for single cask releases, you can find some 21 year old there. maybe Balblair or Glendronach or GlenFarclas family casks.

hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

@bedlamborn

wonder if any distilleries celebrating 200th year anniversary this year

• bedlamborn Member bedlamborn Joined: 18.09.2016Posts: 611Collectionbedlamborns CollectionRatings: 21
    Options

@hwchoy

There are distilleries celebrating various ages. For example Tamdhu is celebrating this year.

hwchoy liked that
  • horst_s_2 Administrator horst_s_2 Joined: 01.07.2014Posts: 507Ratings: 661
    Options

Please have a look at this 21yrs search in our whisky-database. There are quite a lot in the database. You can sort them according to number of ratings or the rating itself (best rated first).

Kind regards, Horst Luening, Master Taster, Whisky.com
    hwchoy liked that
  • hwchoy
    Topic creator
    Member hwchoy
    Options

@horst_s

thank you @horst_s   I will also be sure to use your videos as kiddy training tools, just like the elder girl :-)   she loves to watch Uncle Whisky on Youtube